Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
I know snakes shed their skin but do tortoises?
My tort looks like his skin I shedding around his 'neck' and I was wondering if this was ok ?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
They do shed their skin, but not all at the same time like a snake does. Rather they loose it in small patches and flakes. Is the whole neck shedding at once? Is the skin underneath dry?

Pictures would help. If the skin underneath is dry and looks normal it is probably just regular shedding.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
Yh it's only a little
nothing like a snake
The skin may be dry because I haven't bathed her yet, I have only had her 2 weeks and isn't completely settled yet I will do soon though:)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Ilovetorts123 said:
Yh it's only a little
nothing like a snake
The skin may be dry because I haven't bathed her yet, I have only had her 2 weeks and isn't completely settled yet I will do soon though:)

Soaking is actually helpful in the settling process. Many people recommend soaking them as soon as you get them home. Soaking is also really important for skin health. My guys had very dry, flaky, dark skins when I got them. Daily soaks, in water @ same temp as basking temp; ie 90°F, have helped them shed the rest of the dry, rough stuff and restored their skin to a beautiful yellow. My torts are Hermannis. Good luck!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Shedding is totally normal!

If you give your tort more frequent baths while shedding, that can help speed things up a bit. Whatever you do, DO NOT pick off flakes! You could tear the new skin underneath!

Status
Not open for further replies.