Shell Fungus?

rz1891

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Virgin Islands
I just read the Shell Fungus 101 thread and am now concerned that this might be why Odd's shell is so white. The lady i bought him from said it was because she kept him in sand only and that it would come off. It hasn't although I haven't made an attempt to remove it yet.
I have attached some pictures below, if it is shell fungus what is the best thing to use that I could get from any store or pharmacy? There are no pet shops where I live that deal with anything more exotic than fish.M0020387.jpgM0020391.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

richybear

5 Year Member
Have you soaked him? If it was sand it should come off in a soak . It does look preety bad

rz1891

5 Year Member
British Virgin Islands
Yeah I have soaked him a few times and it didn't come off. What should I use to treat? I saw you can use Clotrimazole, can you use the stuff you buy in the pharmacy or is there a special reptile version?

richybear

5 Year Member
I just went to google and wrote in about shell fungus . On there a tortoise forum thread about it taking you through step by step but it does advise getting products and a toothbtush . Sorry I cant be more help :( keep me posted please

rz1891

5 Year Member
British Virgin Islands
I found a povidone-iodine swabstick in my first aid kit and I also have some Clotrimazole cream, I'll go get some Betadine from a pharmacy tomorrow. He's gone into his hide now (as a rule I don't bother him when he is in there so he feels safe). I will swab him the next time he comes out and clean him with a toothbrush as I always keep the old ones (you never know when you'll need an old toothbrush!). I hope it's not too late, I am upset that the lady told me the wrong thing, but I assume she didn't know. She still has another one so I might go tell her in case her one has shell rot too.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
If you can get some extra virgin coconut oil, preferably cold pressed, this is important, unrefined and purer, you can try that as it is anti-fungal. It has been used for athlete's foot. Just be sure you get the one noted above, as it is least refined, and contains the good properties that will help with this, namely about 44% lauric acid.

Additionally, if you do not want to do natural, one of the experts, with decades of experience, recommends athlete's foot crème.
Here is the thread to share, so you can read what he says. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-20656.html Oh wait. Duh. You may have already read the suggestion on another thread.

Either remedy should take about a week of applying. I use the extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil, best one for remedies, and add oregano from my garden and smoosh/pound it all in mortar and pestle and apply. Fair warning, a little goes a long way so maybe 1/4 teaspoon and a small 1 inch sprig of oregano. Fresh is best, if you can. It will rub off, or come off as tortoise goes on with his day. Apply every morning, twice if you think is needed (but twice for no more than 3 days to just kickstart things). I have only done it once a day in the am, for a week max. Then stop. Wait a week. If needed, one more time. But it should be done in a week. Worked for me.

richybear

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Shell Fungus?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
If you can get some extra virgin coconut oil, preferably cold pressed, this is important, unrefined and purer, you can try that as it is anti-fungal. It has been used for athlete's foot. Just be sure you get the one noted above, as it is least refined, and contains the good properties that will help with this, namely about 44% lauric acid.

Additionally, if you do not want to do natural, one of the experts, with decades of experience, recommends athlete's foot crème.
Here is the thread to share, so you can read what he says. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-20656.html Oh wait. Duh. You may have already read the suggestion on another thread.

Either remedy should take about a week of applying. I use the extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil, best one for remedies, and add oregano from my garden and smoosh/pound it all in mortar and pestle and apply. Fair warning, a little goes a long way so maybe 1/4 teaspoon and a small 1 inch sprig of oregano. Fresh is best, if you can. It will rub off, or come off as tortoise goes on with his day. Apply every morning, twice if you think is needed (but twice for no more than 3 days to just kickstart things). I have only done it once a day in the am, for a week max. Then stop. Wait a week. If needed, one more time. But it should be done in a week. Worked for me.

Beebee do you think its fungus ?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like hard water marks to me.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
That seems like a hella lot of fungus, im sorta doubting it is. Seems too evenly spread out and "even". I have a question, the person that you got this tort, from have little kids around? It appears to me to be scrubbed of paint? Just thinking out loud I'm really not experienced, just it doesn't look quite right from what I've researched myself.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It's not fungus. It's residue from the sand! I had a hatchling that was kept in a sand ox until I got him. The residue takes a long time to go away. I would treat that with extra virgin olive oil. Apply after each soak. In time it will fade away.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Shell Fungus?

sibi said:
It's not fungus. It's residue from the sand! I had a hatchling that was kept in a sand ox until I got him. The residue takes a long time to go away. I would treat that with extra virgin olive oil. Apply after each soak. In time it will fade away.

See I knew paint was the culprit! Never figured "sand paint" though, lol. Good eye Sibi :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep , I was thinking hard water. But I very well be due to the sand .

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow, sand. I am not familiar with sand doing that since I have never used sand with me-tortoises. Impaction fears. Thanks sibi. Good call.

Now, if it was hard water, I would suggest a quick rub down with raw, organic apple cider vinegar and a soft toothbrush and rinse. The vinegar would remove hard water deposits and raw, organic apple cider vinegar is also ant-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral so a little plus if needed.

I have soaked my tortoises when they have runny nose syndrome with distilled water and a dropped full of apple cider vinegar, supervised so they do not go under and get it in their eyes or ears, just soak from neck on down. Usually once a day, 3 days straight and stop. Their immune systems seem to kick in and their noses are back to normal in a week. Sorry, I just went off on a tangent unrelated to what you needed.

Sand. Must be the salt content within the sand. Sand salt residue that wedges in to the shell's pores? Keep us updated on what you use and hopefully what worked. : )

rz1891

5 Year Member
British Virgin Islands
Well... That's a lot of different problems and a lot of different remedies! I am going to start with the apple cider vinegar tomorrow as I have some, if that doesn't work after a few days I will try the olive oil. If that still doesn't shift it then I will assume it is fungus and not sand residue, and start the anti fungal treatment.

Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I already stated that the sand residue takes a long time to get rid of. I would not treat fungus medication on a tort"s carapace if he is not suffering from shell rot. Take your time with this and be patient. It will eventually go away with gentle soak scrubs and olive oil dabs.

Thanks BeeBee for you input about how to clear up fungus naturally :)
rz1891 said:
Well... That's a lot of different problems and a lot of different remedies! I am going to start with the apple cider vinegar tomorrow as I have some, if that doesn't work after a few days I will try the olive oil. If that still doesn't shift it then I will assume it is fungus and not sand residue, and start the anti fungal treatment.

Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions!

rz1891

5 Year Member
British Virgin Islands
OK thanks Sibi, if you are sure that it is only sand then I will clean him regularly and check back with you and let you know how it's going.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, please do that. Your tort had been in sand for a while, and it will take a while for it to resolve using the natural method that I mentioned with virgin olive oil. Also, mineral deposits from your water attach itself to the carapace and the result is what you are experiencing. Using BeeBee's method to resolve mineral deposits should be done so that the olive oil then becomes a conditioner for the shell. Pm me anytime with concerns or questions.
rz1891 said:
OK thanks Sibi, if you are sure that it is only sand then I will clean him regularly and check back with you and let you know how it's going.

rz1891

5 Year Member
British Virgin Islands
sibi said:
Yes, please do that. Your tort had been in sand for a while, and it will take a while for it to resolve using the natural method that I mentioned with virgin olive oil. Also, mineral deposits from your water attach itself to the carapace and the result is what you are experiencing. Using BeeBee's method to resolve mineral deposits should be done so that the olive oil then becomes a conditioner for the shell. Pm me anytime with concerns or questions.

BeeBee & Sibi, Thank you so much for your help with this. I am on the third day of the cider vinegar treatment and his shell looks so much better already. Attached are photos after day 1 and day 2. The difference is incredible!

M0020395.jpg M0020396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, what a beautiful glowing tort you have now. That is a difference!
The little split scute in back is even cute!