Shell good or bad

Chrisquester

Hi guys, I had a quick question about my tortoise's shell. Last year he showed some damage and I took him to the vet (who specializes in exotics and is very good) and she said that something damadam the shell and it would flake off. No need to worry. Fast forward about 6 to 8 months later and it seems like the area that she said was fine is a little bit bigger and I just pulled off a piece of shell, which didn't seem to bother him but it bothers me. My Pumpkin is very active, growing by leaps and bounds! I was just wondering if I should be concerned that this area doesn't seem to be changing an appearance for the better, and if there's anything I need to do about it? I live in a very hot and dry climate and Pumpkin lives outside. I keep him sprayed down in the afternoons, and he has frequent access to clean water. Plenty of shade. Pumpkin is roughly about 15 lb., But I'm not sure how old he is. We've had him for almost 3 years.

Thoughts? Has anyone experienced this before?

Briannesmith1

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
It looks like he might need his shell soaked a couple times and/or a higher humidity. It looks pretty dry from the picture. Giving him warm soaks can never hurt[emoji4] I’m not that knowledgeable on what is going on here but more experienced people will be able to help you better.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
As best as I can tell there had been some sort of fungus or rot on the scutes. It does not appear to be active. Over time it will look less significant as sculcatas seem to grow out of shell issue better than many other species.

Food availability might be increased. Fast growth onto itself is not a goal, but at some size when you got him/her and three more years I'd think he/she might be bigger than 15 pounds. Maybe not. I'm willing to be mistaken on this.

Is there a grassy area where he'she can graze at will? Sulcatas can eat an enormous amount of food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree he's too dry. Up the humidity. Set up a sprinkler in his area or a mister.
They heal very slow as they do everything slow. I think @Yvonne G has said before as it heals under the damage the old will come off. I wouldn't pull or pick at it though.

Chrisquester

Hi.
It also looks very dry to me. He also looks like he has some serious pyramiding. As far as the part where the shell is coming off, I'll tag some people who have far more knowledge than I do. @YvonneG, @Tom, @Will. Have you ever soaked him in the time you have had him?
He doesn't have an issue with pyramiding. He is dry in the picture but in the three years I've had him I've soaked him plenty.

Chrisquester

As best as I can tell there had been some sort of fungus or rot on the scutes. It does not appear to be active. Over time it will look less significant as sculcatas seem to grow out of shell issue better than many other species.

Food availability might be increased. Fast growth onto itself is not a goal, but at some size when you got him/her and three more years I'd think he/she might be bigger than 15 pounds. Maybe not. I'm willing to be mistaken on this.

Is there a grassy area where he'she can graze at will? Sulcatas can eat an enormous amount of food.
The vet said no fungus or infection was present, and picked some shell off and said it'd be fine. I just wonder how long until it LOOKS better?