shell health

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
028.JPG027.JPG
Hello! I was wondering if I should be concerned with my tortoise's shells being so different. They are 6 month old siblings. They eat, drink, soak, and sleep the same. They are both active and get the same amount of sun. Obi's shell is so much lighter, almost like it is drier..could that be the case?
Do they look healthy?

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, i would say something seems wrong, but i know nothing about your torts. Hopefully someone who knows will soon chime in...

erinnco22

5 Year Member
Does anyone have any advice for me about my sonorans? Please! I'm concerned :(

theelectraco

5 Year Member
They both look like have dry shells just one much more severe. How ling are their soaks? What are their temps, diet, humidity, etc.

Long*

erinnco22

5 Year Member
They eat spring mix, bok choy, collard greens.. And they have good appetites. Their soaks aren't too long.. 15 minutes maybe..how long should they be? Their temps range from 100 on their warm side, and about 70 on the cool side. I try to keep the cool side moist, but the humidity never seems to keep up..it seems to stay around 40-50. They seem to drink well, too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They both look very dry. Do you keep their substrate moist?

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what's wrong but I understand your concern though! The shells are significantly different and very dry looking....will give you a bump to see if anyone can help you. :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
What kind of substrate are you using? How often do you soak them?
Also as a side note I would check with your state legislature as I know in az it is illegal to have sonorans without a permit and it is illegal to house 2of opposite sex together under any circumstance as they can't be bred. I had to go through a long process when I had tank and Dozer as they were male and female
You should think about adding cactus to the diet for additional hydration and vitamins.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
I use a combo of repti bark and coconut fiber substrate. I spray them down every day, and try to keep their ground moist.
Has anyone found advantages to applying oil to their shells to help moisturize?
Thank you for the input on having these sonorans legally..I have definitely done research. But I haven't heard anything on keeping 2 of different sex before.how would I know at this age?

Also, I started soaking them daily right when they wake up before they warm up and eat. For 20 minutes.
And, I give them elephant food succulents, but haven't been able to find prickly pear yet.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I dont know anything about the type of tort you have but I have never been a fan of reptibark for any reptiles/tortoises. Maybe you could switch to something that retains humidity better since you mentioned youre having trouble keeping humidity up. Maybe somone else can chime in on the actual cause of their shells being so dry, the humidity could be a very small factor but I wouldnt think it would make it that severe * tortoise noob*

Also are they getting UVB?

erinnco22

5 Year Member
Their substrate is about 70% coconut fibers (which I think hold humidity well) and 30% bark. I have been taking them outside (daily- if it has been warm enough) for their sunlight.
I have been needing to get a UVB bulb, though..since it has only been getting colder. What are the signs of lack of UVB?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
If you are seeing signs of going without UVB then they are really ill so it's best to provide UVB before they get bad. Usually within a couple weeks of getting them at the latest.
You won't be able to tell sex for several years and I think it takes like 40-50 years before they reach sexual maturity but am unsure on that (have heard conflicting dates and am not too concerned about it as I keep any of the bigger ones seperated when I have them).
As for your substrate they really need deep substrate (half soil half sand) with a burrow or for you to seal their enclosure and add a humidifier to keep them hydrated.
I don't know what could be causing the white on the shell to such a degree but I think you should take them into a vet.
My hatchling box turtle had something similar. He ate a lot, was fairly active, swam in his pond, but he had the white growing on the shell and didn't burrow. Sadly he died not too long ago.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
They didn't constantly go without ubv..I understand the importance of it. I did take them outside regularly. i have only had them for a month. I only meant that now that its getting too cool and windy here to go out a bunch, I was needing to get a uvb. I purchased one yesterday (although, the wrong one, i hear!- i am exchanging it as soon as i can)
i have been soaking them longer, giving them a soft scrub, added more coconut fiber substrate, and put a cover over the cool/wet side of their home to try and lock in more moisture.
003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Thalatte

5 Year Member
The shells do look better so just keep up the misting, baths and make sure the substrate is damp. Let us know if it comes back.
Wonder what it actually was?

erinnco22

5 Year Member
When I received them, they were in awful pure calcium sand...everything was white and chalky and dry. I wonder if that was the issue? I didn't like it at all and have obviously switched ground coverings.
But it is still surprising to me that sonoran desert torts need so much moisture! They surely can't get this much in the wild, right? AZ is dry!

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Not that dry. They usually stay deep underground in humid burrows for most of the day and only come out in the early mornings and late evenings when it isn't so hot.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
erinnco22 said:
They didn't constantly go without ubv..I understand the importance of it. I did take them outside regularly. i have only had them for a month. I only meant that now that its getting too cool and windy here to go out a bunch, I was needing to get a uvb. I purchased one yesterday (although, the wrong one, i hear!- i am exchanging it as soon as i can)
i have been soaking them longer, giving them a soft scrub, added more coconut fiber substrate, and put a cover over the cool/wet side of their home to try and lock in more moisture.

Wow what a difference! Keep going with whatever your doing! :) glad it's a happy outcome ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.