Shell on hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Since I am new to the hatchlings, I am always concerned about their development... I noticed one of them had a very small peeling on their shell yesterday. I am assuming this is normal, as they are growing... Is it and how often does it happen? Is it similar to skin shedding? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No their shells don't normally peel. Can we see a pic?

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I will have to take one tonight when I get home from work... And I only noticed it on one of them.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
image-2331359801.png

The flaking is near the back. The picture may be a little blurry. I tried to get as close as I could. I honestly don't think it's extremely noticeable just looking at the little guy, but I try to inspect all of them during their daily bathings. That's when I noticed it yesterday.

image-1348613397.png

Katherine

5 Year Member
How old is your hatchling? I notice this type of flaking or 'peeling' soon after hatching on some but not all of my sulcata/leopard hatchlings. It is almost as though they have a membranous layer or residual egg-slime that dries and separates or sloughs off once they begin to grow. I have never done anything to aide or inhibit the process and it has never been an issue for my little guys. I have only ever noticed it in the first few weeks post hatch, so if your hatchling is older maybe it's something else completely. Not sure if I have any in the right stage of life but I will check and try to post a pic tomorrow if so...

socialworker81

5 Year Member
katherine said:
How old is your hatchling? I notice this type of flaking or 'peeling' soon after hatching on some but not all of my sulcata/leopard hatchlings. It is almost as though they have a membranous layer or residual egg-slime that dries and separates or sloughs off once they begin to grow. I have never done anything to aide or inhibit the process and it has never been an issue for my little guys. I have only ever noticed it in the first few weeks post hatch, so if your hatchling is older maybe it's something else completely. Not sure if I have any in the right stage of life but I will check and try to post a pic tomorrow if so...

Thanks for the reply. I hope that is all it is. The little guy hatched on 4/30, so he is just over three weeks old. It could have been there a few days earlier too and I just didn't notice it. I haven't tried to get it off and I won't attempt to :) He is the only one so far that I have seen with the flaking. The three that were hatched a few weeks before show no signs either. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.