Shell pattern question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haira32

5 Year Member
Actually, two questions. First off, how long do I have to worry about my baby just failing to thrive? I'm constantly worried that one day I will wake up to a suddenly sick animal past the point of no return..
But also, I am wondering about his shell pattern. He has very dark markings in the middle of each scute, I've seen pictures of babies with some similar markings but none as dark as his. Any idea why this is, or if it means he will have darker shell growth? I have a picture in a previous post here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-75157.html

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My best advice for you is to keep a daily tort journal. Write what foods you give, what the temps and humidity is throughout the day, if you soaked him and how long, etc. Also, a monthly or bi-monthly weigh-in and length chart would be really good to put in there. Then you should only worry when the little guy's weight drops. You shouldn't have to worry about the end-game if you provide the best care you can. You have plenty of resources on this forum whenever you need help.

As for the shell.. every tort is unique. As they grow, their carapace will change too. It's totally normal and I don't think it correlates to anything (ie. dark spots = dark growth) but you'll have to see what others say. Relax and welcome to owning a tort :D

Haira32

5 Year Member
Hey I am still really worried, today was the first day my baby was all alone all day and sure enough, I came home to find him flipped over. He had flipped before, but I moved things around so he wasn't climbing. He loves to try and climb... I believe he was flipped for quite some time and his shell feels soft today all over, not just in the one spot it had before. It even looks like it is indented a bit where he was laying on his back.. Is there anything I can do for him??

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Did you give him a good, warm soak after you found him on his back? Usually, when a tort is on his back, he'll stress out and urinate or poop. Soaking will make sure he isn't severely dehydrated. As for the soft shell.. what type of uvb lighting do you provide for him? Weather permitting, nothing beats uvb from the sun. Can you provide pics of the indent? Keep up the daily soaks and monitor activity levels for a while. However, you don't want to hover too much and cause more undue stress. Others should be able to provide more support.

Haira32

5 Year Member
Yeah, I soaked him right away then brought him outside. He gets outside at least three times a week, and has a long uv bulb. He did take a few bites of lettuce, but he didn't eat any weeds outside, which he usually devours. I have a picture, I will try to post it.

wi2142.jpg

It was hard to get a picture at the right angle to see it but it's there. Hoping he is doing better tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.