Shell problem?

Ellie:)

Location (City and/or State)
Tyne and Wear
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I'm concerned about my Russian's shell. It has been this way since I got him a couple of month ago, he is only 10 month but his shell does not look like other hatchlings I've seen. He sort of has the arch on the top and then it sticks out almost like a little shelf on either side.

As far as I am aware, for the first 8 month of his life he was kept on rabbit pellets and his lamp was wrong and had no UVB output so it's no wonder his shell isn't perfect. His substrate is now coco coir, he has an MVB and a basking lamp also. I soak him everyday just to be on the safe side and sprinkle calcium on his food about 4 times a week. I know that MBD is irreversible but was told if I caught it at a young enough age then it should be able to correct itself but his shell has shown no signs of improvement. Am I doing anything wrong? I just want him to have a nice smooth, healthy shell.

If you can think of anything else I could do to help, please let me know:<3::tort:

2.jpg 4.jpg 15.jpg 25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I hen we talk about time we are talking time relative to a tort's lifespan which is lengthy.

The damage done by poor care at first will not go away. It can become less obvious as the animal grows.

If you have food, humidity, lighting and temperatures correct now then just keep going.

In a couple of years time when he's grown a lot things will look better :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might help to moisten the substrate. Some people rub a bit of extra virgin, cold pressed, coconut oil into the shell, then after about 15 minutes or so for absorption, wipe off the excess.

Tyne and Wear
It might help to moisten the substrate. Some people rub a bit of extra virgin, cold pressed, coconut oil into the shell, then after about 15 minutes or so for absorption, wipe off the excess.

His substrate is moist and I make sure I mist it everyday and take everything out and soak it a bit more every week. I will try the coconut oil! Thank you:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The wide area of light color is rapid new growth. The pyramiding was caused by conditions that were too dry early on.

A high fiber, weedy, leafy diet, good hydration, large enclosure for exercise, moderate humidity and sunshine will help the new growth to come in better. Your tortoise doesn't look all that bad, and I would not worry too much about the past.

Daily soaks and your new substrate are good. Make sure the basking temp under your new MVB is not too hot. Excessive heat from electric bulbs will further dry out the carapace. They need heat, just not too much.

If you can get him on to more "natural" foods and off of the grocery store lettuce, that will help too. Here is a list of suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Tyne and Wear
The wide area of light color is rapid new growth. The pyramiding was caused by conditions that were too dry early on.

A high fiber, weedy, leafy diet, good hydration, large enclosure for exercise, moderate humidity and sunshine will help the new growth to come in better. Your tortoise doesn't look all that bad, and I would not worry too much about the past.

Daily soaks and your new substrate are good. Make sure the basking temp under your new MVB is not too hot. Excessive heat from electric bulbs will further dry out the carapace. They need heat, just not too much.

If you can get him on to more "natural" foods and off of the grocery store lettuce, that will help too. Here is a list of suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Thanks very much Tom. His diet at the minute is mostly dandelion leaves, sowthistle, some pansies, rocket, homegrown weed mixes (from the website swell reptiles) and a small bit of lettuce (all in variation and moderation) when weeds are limited but with me living in the North of England weeds are sparse in the winter and just after, so I'm sure as soon as they start sprouting up his diet will be better.

Thank you for the reassurance, I really appreciate it:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Many of us in the UK supplement with pellet food when the greens are in short supply.

Identify the greens you have growing round you and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability.

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp?v=desktop

They also have an android app and there's a pdf Plant Identification Booklet on the website too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks very much Tom. His diet at the minute is mostly dandelion leaves, sowthistle, some pansies, rocket, homegrown weed mixes (from the website swell reptiles) and a small bit of lettuce (all in variation and moderation) when weeds are limited but with me living in the North of England weeds are sparse in the winter and just after, so I'm sure as soon as they start sprouting up his diet will be better.

Thank you for the reassurance, I really appreciate it:)

That sounds like a pretty good diet.