SHELL PROBLEMS

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have about a 2 month old hermanns tortoise and I am worried about his shell. The top isn't soft, it's pretty hard but the scutes near the tail seems to be pretty soft like I can push on them and they will bend slightly. They also seem to be going clear like I can see through them and also the ones near his head. The scutes on the top of his shell seems to be getting white around them. Someone please help and let me know if this is normal or if I need to take him to a vet! Thank you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have about a 2 month old hermanns tortoise and I am worried about his shell. The top isn't soft, it's pretty hard but the scutes near the tail seems to be pretty soft like I can push on them and they will bend slightly. They also seem to be going clear like I can see through them and also the ones near his head. The scutes on the top of his shell seems to be getting white around them. Someone please help and let me know if this is normal or if I need to take him to a vet! Thank you!
Hi Maggy

Please post photos of your tort, its enclosure and lighting so we can help you best.

You probably have nothing to worry about :)

A baby tort's shell is flexible and gradually hardens. This is because it is curled up in the egg and must then straighten out. To harden the tort needs calcium, a tiny pinch of powder 3 times a week on food is good, and UVB light from the sun, a long straight tube bulb or a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB). Compact coil type UVB bulbs aren't recommended as they can cause eye problems.

The white you mention is probably growth lines. New shell is very pale and gradually darkens. A photo will clarify this :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Good shell on a hatchling is pliable, but had tension to it. A soft shell would be more mushy and not flex back.