Shell Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member
Hello,

My tortoise is having shell problems can anyone tell me whats wrong? The shell has gotten lighter around the scutes and there has been some minor dark spots growing. Does this sound familiar? He is eating healthy and is still very energetic. If you can identify the problem please help me. I will post pictures below.

2.jpg

2-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't see a problem. I see the lighter area between the scutes, but it does not appear to be a problem. Does he get much sunshine?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Josue:

It might be that the light was a bit too close to the top of the tortoise's shell and the new growth was burned a little. How far away is your light? You can dab some NeoSporin on those spots, then wipe away the excess.

Or, it might be like Tom says...nothing but new growth.

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member
My only fear is there seems to be some sort of scabbing in one of the areas i brushed it a bit (very gently) and some came off and it seemed to be almost bleeding. I will post an up close picture just so you may get a better look at it just incase. Can never be too cautious with him. But other than that Thank You a bunch put my mind at ease:).

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't see a problem. I see the lighter area between the scutes, but it does not appear to be a problem. Does he get much sunshine?

Hey gets moderate sunshine he’s been without his mercury bulb for a about 3 weeks. I ordered and it was on backorder. Its on its way now. Other than that I take him out every other day and make sure he gets d3 supplement in the mean time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Josuergarcia said:
My only fear is there seems to be some sort of scabbing in one of the areas i brushed it a bit (very gently) and some came off and it seemed to be almost bleeding. I will post an up close picture just so you may get a better look at it just incase. Can never be too cautious with him. But other than that Thank You a bunch put my mind at ease:).

Then my first thought holds for me. When the light was on him, how far from his back was it?

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Josuergarcia said:

Then my first thought holds for me. When the light was on him, how far from his back was it?

The mercury bulb was rather far about 32 inches give or take (as the manufacture box says and his heating bulb keeps his basking area at about 90 degrees. Should I make some adjustments?

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is the space where new growth appears. For some reason (unknown to me) there are raw spots in the new growth. If I had this on one of my tortoises all I would do is first aid...apply triple antibiotic ointment to see if it heals.

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
That is the space where new growth appears. For some reason (unknown to me) there are raw spots in the new growth. If I had this on one of my tortoises all I would do is first aid...apply triple antibiotic ointment to see if it heals.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!! Ill put some on as soon as im home thanks again you were super helpful and put my mind at ease I was freaking out.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I agree with the anti-biotic ointment. Would you mind telling me what the diet is?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a new one for me. If it were a burn, I would expect the damage to be on the high points or just more universal. The problem is happening at the valley between the scutes where liquid would tend to flow and collect.

Where abouts do you live? What sort of weather and humidity do you usually have? Is it possible that some sort of chemical was sprayed on the shell inadvertently?

Josuergarcia

5 Year Member
Tom said:
That's a new one for me. If it were a burn, I would expect the damage to be on the high points or just more universal. The problem is happening at the valley between the scutes where liquid would tend to flow and collect.

Where abouts do you live? What sort of weather and humidity do you usually have? Is it possible that some sort of chemical was sprayed on the shell inadvertently?

The weather isn't very humid. I live in SoCal but he still lives in the house in his home i’ve built him. There as well seems to be nothing that could have fell on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.