Shell rot fungal ? bacteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connie

5 Year Member
I got a red foot that had shell rot on the bottom shell. I originally bought it from the store because I felt sorry for her in the constant wet. I never had a tortoise but it just didn't look right, but now I love her. I gave her back to the store because they had a vet to take care of her rot.I just got her back after the treatment. I wasn't told of the treatment (yet) but I inquired. Her rot was dry and "flaky". She had some of her bottom shell eaten awayand still does because her shell will take a long time to heal.
When I got her home after the treatment I washed her with the Nolvasan skin and wound cleaner and the regular diluted Nolvason and then smeared her with Neosporin. I am not sure if it was bacterial or not, like I said it was dry and flaky with some areas of shell just plain eaten away, especially near the right and left arms and around the perimeter scutes of the undershell that surrounds the underbottom. Would it be okay to use an anti fungal(I got Lotrimin) WITH the neosporin since I am not sure what type of rot it was. Using both, is that okay just to make sure?? It looks pretty much the same as when I gave her for treatment , but cleaner. I mean the shell itself will take a longer time than a few weeks to heal because it was so damaged... I want to make sure those nasty little "buggers"(be it bacterial or fungal) are gone from my little "Ruby" the red foot..Poor thing has gone thru so much in her young life!!!
Right Now she is in the Iris Christmas Tree storage box, with cage carpet and paper towels under that.Half the box has only cage carpet (dry) and the other half has damp New zealand spagum Moss. I am going to keep her "bottom" dry shell and top shell sprayed to prevent pyramiding.....

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Do you have any photos, that would help the members that have seen both issues tell you what it is...

Connie

5 Year Member
I haven't had a chance to figure out how to upload a picture....THAT is why I figured Use both and this way I am protected either way.....No Matter what I am keeping her bottom dry for now at least... Would that be safe???

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yes it never hurts to treat both types just to be safe. Yes you also want to keep her dry to help with healing.

Connie

5 Year Member
Thank you for your prompt reply! (I don't have time right nowto figure out how t uplad a picture--I have to do my kitchemn floors right now)--but before my floor I wil also put on the Lotrimin along with the neosporin and I can feel better knowing whatever caused her "Rot" will be gone for sure!!! I just got her back yesterday... Again I thank you!!

Curious_turtle

5 Year Member
ooo, I am a newbie to tortoise forum so I wont be able to offer you any insights to this(i am sure someone who is more knowledgeable would step in soon.. hold on tight!) but it seems like you have the best interest at heart, and I am sooo happy that she is in good hands! I am sure others will chime in, so hold on tight!!! and wish you lots of tortoise luck :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
No problem, just keep her dry and keep up the treatment and you will start to see improvement..

Connie

5 Year Member
I scrubbed her down again with diluted Nolvasan one more time and put both the Lotrimon and neosporin on. I know for a fact that neosporin speeds healing so I figured also what ever it was, the neosporin hopefully should also speed the healing?? I closely inspected her and even a few shutes on the outer lower top shell (carapace?) was rotted away a bit)--that's when I decided to swtich to just the paper towels for now--keep it hosptial clean. She really went thru alot. I took out the cage carpet and spagum moss for now and just put paper towels down as a substrate. I shredde some paper towels and lightly sprayed the shredded paper towels to make it damp so she can cover herself in her hide, which is what she like to do at night.
I gave her a mixture of dandelions greens and mustard green with mixed veggies and the Zoo Med natural Forest made especially for redfoots. She just ate the veggies. I also noticed yesterday when she went over to soak she drank, which I heard means her is somewhat dehydrated. So after she ate I gave a grape (which is really sugar water)dusted with reptical with vit d3and reptivite--(a kind if pediolite) to make her more hydrated. Now let her rest and heal...With her "hospital like" enviornment these "little "Buggers" (Bacteria or fungus??) what ever they are should be dead and gone!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.