Shell rot on a baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Any idea, if I was to post pictures of Gamera would anyone be able to tell me what sub-straight to put her one? I work at the pet shop that i adopted her from. when she came in her shell as still a little soft and she had some sort of a sore on her plastron last segment by the tail. as soon as we saw her we put her into vet care for three weeks, she was getting injections, and she was released as a stable but unsellable animal. all activities are normal. a healthy amount of droppings a day. shell looks good other then the slight twist by her tail. should i change from repi-carpet or keep in until further notice. the vets here are ..ok.. but they mistook a fat tailed gecko for leopard gecko. so yeh. i'm on the boarder with this. she is doing very well so far but i worry. you know how it is with babies.

T

I have to admit I might be overly worried, but i knew her when she was a tiny soft shell, depressed little thing that wouldn't open her eyes to eat. Like I said, she is acting normally but I worry about the growth of her shell. should I be doing anything that might help counter the deformity? She was shell and bone when we got her. it took a lot of hand feeding and fluid injections o get her where she is now.

:(

We have made a note not to buy from this breeder again. This was not the first or worst baby we got from them in this or worse condition. I an not permitted to give out any details but it was good number and all made good recoveries and have good homes not. Gamera has been the worst of all the cases. Thus I refused to sell her and took er as my own much the my husbands dismay, (he adores her now) people be cautious. A pet store baby of /any/ pet is not where you want your baby from. I've been with one(big chain pet store) for many year and yes some do care. we spent over $1,000 to save a $10.00 hamster with a brain tumor. . but the information is poor. always go to a local (who will let you view everything to do with the animals) Breeder or reputable breeder.
Northern Alberta Canada. not a lot of help or information here.
Long story shot. Pics? Habitat? help?!
T

- now have pics of her size, her belly, and her habitat. will post as soon as i figure out my phone to forum greeting.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
What species is your tort!
What antibiotics was she on,how was she injected, how many times a week and how long for?
Normally with shell rot it should be well cleaned with oxygenated water or saline, then use a bacterial solution to put on it, like iodine, leave it to dry.

Her bedding should be dry for the time being, as some shell rot is due to coming into contact with a tort that's infected, too much damp or poor hygiene.

Try using mulch, but you will need to bathe her quite often as the substrate is dry, shell rot can take months to disappear.

Glad she is in good hands now.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
She is a little Hermanns, just under two inches from head to tail. I have been unable to find the info on what her injections were other then that it was an antibiotic. She was given it once every three days for two weeks. She is on the dry environment still and getting baths daily. I did notice the rot has gotten a fraction worse. No sign of any food or droppings in the damaged area, before I got her it was not being cleaned and was filthy. There is, however, an unusual shiny looking bit, almost like a tiny flake of metal, in the middle of it. I never noticed it before. Is that just a symptom or should I book a vet appointment? Maybe misdiagnosed?

As I can't get the photos on here yet, it appears as a little L shaped hole that has the last two segments on her plastron causing it to look twisted and deformed. There was mild discoloration, but it has gone away. I've been starting to wonder if it isn't a wound received while still soft that has been having a lot of problems healing. in all reality it doesn't look like the other cases of shell rot we had in, but did at the start and vet treated as such. She is still a little soft shelled. (haha I say she but I'm not really sure yet)

She is otherwise still very active, eating well, and bathing on her own once or twice a day in her wadding pool. There is plenty of moss in there to keep it from being too dry, but still on carpet. There are also some small flat bits of petrified wood that I boiled to clean and she loves to bask on. They are mostly smooth, but should i remove them until further notice? I didn't think she could climb them at her sized and wonder if maybe the rubbing is part of the problem.
T

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Picture is a drawing of what it sort of looks like and the shape of her right now. Mistook the segment, it's the center one. The brown make is the mark in question. it is about the same color as the rest of her. Blue is where the speck of something is. the oddity in her shell shape is a little more tight then I could draw it and still show where and how the shape was on the make. the hole is about a half a millimeter deep.

Attachments

• Gamera shell.png
    Gamera shell.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.