Shell Rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract, UK
I have just been checking Speckles as she hasnt eaten today and my mum has noticed a small area of Shell rot. Does this explain why she hasnt eaten today? I am going down to the Vets shortly to get some Betadine and Chlorhexidine to treat it, but how long do i need to do the treatment for? I am also going to put her on an old bath towel while the treatment is being done, but do i need to sterilise her Vivarium too? Her substrate that she is currently on is a mixture of Coconut Coir and forest bark and her hide has Sphagnum Moss in it.

Any advice will be received greatly

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hi Wezzer. I'm pretty sure that your shell issues have nothing to do with Speckles not eating today. Usually shell rot, or shell fungus is a slowly developing issue that becomes evident to a keeper long after the tortoise has been infected with it. Unless it is really bad and the shell is quite rotten, most tortoises seem to act normally with this condition.
The measures you are taking to treat it sound reasonable but sterilization of the vivarium is probably unnecessary. It would be a good idea though to change the bedding and clean the vivarium while Speckles is being kept on that old towel during his (her?) treatment.
If you could provide a photo or two of the affected shell it might help some of us get an idea of what you are dealing with.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
cdmay said:
Hi Wezzer. I'm pretty sure that your shell issues have nothing to do with Speckles not eating today. Usually shell rot, or shell fungus is a slowly developing issue that becomes evident to a keeper long after the tortoise has been infected with it. Unless it is really bad and the shell is quite rotten, most tortoises seem to act normally with this condition.
The measures you are taking to treat it sound reasonable but sterilization of the vivarium is probably unnecessary. It would be a good idea though to change the bedding and clean the vivarium while Speckles is being kept on that old towel during his (her?) treatment.
If you could provide a photo or two of the affected shell it might help some of us get an idea of what you are dealing with.

Thanks cdmay. i didnt get a picture of her shell, but my mum had seen pictures of shell rot on this forum so we are pretty sure that is what it is. We have caught it early as it is only a very small area that is affected. We started treatment yesterday with Betadine and tomorrow we are going to start with the Chlorhexidine. I am feeling positive about it already as it is already improving. I am going to invest in some new bedding for her as soon as i can get to somewhere where i can buy some for her.

Thanks for your help

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
A good thing to use for shell rot is miconazole 2%, it is the active ingredient found in athlete's foot cream and Jock itch creams.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
cdmay said:

Here is a photo of the affected area today. It is starting to look like normal shell again underneath and is lots better than what it was on Monday. It still has a slight chalky look to it around the edges but i am positive that it will be cleared up soon. (Sorry about the poor quality photo it is the best i can get with my mobile)

Attachments

• Photo0046.jpg
    Photo0046.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 42
M

Maggie Cummings

I would only use the Betadine once and then use the Nolvasan several times during the day. Keep her dry on the towel but I wouldn't change out the substrate I don't think that is necessary or sterilizing her viv is not necessary either. Just keep her dry and pour the Nolvasan over the spot as many times as you think about it during the day.
You'll need to figure out why she is not feeding as shell rot wouldn't be the reason. Have you changed anything in your normal treatment of her? Does she have bubbles coming from her nose? Using the miconazole is a very good suggestion also.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
maggie3fan said:
I would only use the Betadine once and then use the Nolvasan several times during the day. Keep her dry on the towel but I wouldn't change out the substrate I don't think that is necessary or sterilizing her viv is not necessary either. Just keep her dry and pour the Nolvasan over the spot as many times as you think about it during the day.
You'll need to figure out why she is not feeding as shell rot wouldn't be the reason. Have you changed anything in your normal treatment of her? Does she have bubbles coming from her nose? Using the miconazole is a very good suggestion also.

I used the Betadine twice and am now using the Chlorhexidine when i soak her. Speckles was ready for some new substrate anyway, her old substrate was full of snow fleas so i am going to get her some fresh. Speckles ate later on that day after i had posted on here and is eating like she normally does :) She has no bubbles coming from her nose and apart from the small area of shell rot she is perfectly healthy and the shell rot is responding very well to her treatment :) Would it better for me to use the Chlorhexidine more than once a day? I read that i should use the Betadine once or twice and then to use Chlorhexidine once a day.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Wezzer said:
maggie3fan said:

I used the Betadine twice and am now using the Chlorhexidine when i soak her. Speckles was ready for some new substrate anyway, her old substrate was full of snow fleas so i am going to get her some fresh. Speckles ate later on that day after i had posted on here and is eating like she normally does :) She has no bubbles coming from her nose and apart from the small area of shell rot she is perfectly healthy and the shell rot is responding very well to her treatment :) Would it better for me to use the Chlorhexidine more than once a day? I read that i should use the Betadine once or twice and then to use Chlorhexidine once a day.

Hi this is Kerry's mam her reply reads as though she soaks her in the Chlorhexidine but she does not she applies it with a cotton bud after her soak and she is using a soft toothbrush to clean the area before treatment. She as asked me to ask how long it will take for the shell to look normal, or will it leave a mark were the shell rot was we are also not sure how long she needs to treat her shell as it is already starting to improve but we do not want to stop treatment too soon. Thanks for the help Kerry was really upset when i found the patch she knew Redfoots were prone to Shell rot but you never think i will happen to yours.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
[/quote]
Hi this is Kerry's mam her reply reads as though she soaks her in the Chlorhexidine but she does not she applies it with a cotton bud after her soak and she is using a soft toothbrush to clean the area before treatment. She as asked me to ask how long it will take for the shell to look normal, or will it leave a mark were the shell rot was we are also not sure how long she needs to treat her shell as it is already starting to improve but we do not want to stop treatment too soon. Thanks for the help Kerry was really upset when i found the patch she knew Redfoots were prone to Shell rot but you never think i will happen to yours.[/quote]

Sounds like both Wezzer and Speckles are in good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.