Shell Rotting

Devvrat Singh

Location (City and/or State)
India
As you can see in the picture the uppermost bulges are seem to be rotting or is it normal. It was not there 2,3 years ago. She is 10 years old. There is also unusual lump seen on the shell from backside. She mostly eats ladyfinger, Okra beans, Tomatoes, green leaves(very few), Cucumber(favourite) and roams in the entire house(no soil but tile) from the beginning with plenty of sunlight never been in a inclosure. She is native to my place so temp is no problem.
My family mostly ignores her but now I will take care of her suggest improvements I can do.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20240620_185147.jpg
    IMG_20240620_185147.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG20240617235905.jpg
    IMG20240617235905.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20240620191141.jpg
    IMG20240620191141.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG20240620191413.jpg
    IMG20240620191413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly she has been poorly taken care of. She needs substrate not tile. She needs her own enclosure outside if possible or inside if outside is not possible and it's not roaming the floors of your home.
She needs proper basking area and food which you have not listed a good diet.
The spots on the shell looks like rubbing. She ptis constantly rubbing them on something she keeps going under.
@Tom

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Can you tell what her set up has been like? Has she always roamed the floors? There is clearly some bad pyramiding and wear from rubbing against something.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As the others have said, unfortunately she hasn’t received the right care, her diet isn’t good, walking on tile is going to wreak havoc on her hip joints😞she needs an appropriate enclosure setting up with the right substrate, but ideally if you have a good sized outdoor area you can secure(make sure it’s escape proof!) that would be great as your climate is right for her, with a nice area to bask but with plenty of options for shade.

How does she walk? Is she able to lift her shell off the ground as she walks or does she drag?

If you’re willing, we can all help advise on diet and how to set something up for her?🙂

Devvrat Singh

India
Can you tell what her set up has been like? Has she always roamed the floors? There is clearly some bad pyramiding and wear from rubbing against something.
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately she has always roamed the floors. She was brought when i was 7 and had that bad diet always. My parents thinks animals are tough and can withstand any given conditions can survive on eating rocks can roam on floors and they think that vegetables are a feast for them as they eat grass in the wild. Does the pyramiding affects the overall health or it is just a shape of shell now. And i don,t think thats rubbing on the topmost part but some nutrient deficiancy. Thank you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Pyramiding is mostly cosmetic...but it could lead to MBD, metabolic bone disease which is extremely painful and 'possibly' fatal...that tort needs to be set up correctly, or given away to someone who will care for her correctly. I see where you are living, so I am understanding your living situation. I'm really don't know what more to say

Devvrat Singh

India
As the others have said, unfortunately she hasn’t received the right care, her diet isn’t good, walking on tile is going to wreak havoc on her hip joints😞she needs an appropriate enclosure setting up with the right substrate, but ideally if you have a good sized outdoor area you can secure(make sure it’s escape proof!) that would be great as your climate is right for her, with a nice area to bask but with plenty of options for shade.

How does she walk? Is she able to lift her shell off the ground as she walks or does she drag?

If you’re willing, we can all help advise on diet and how to set something up for her?🙂
Thank you for your reply. Everything else is normal she walks fine and does not slide but i think not for long until her legs are injured permanently. I will build a enclosure with good soil as fast as possible seeking advice from other threads in future. I will also focus on diet giving best of what is available in my area. Thank you for your kind support.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately she has always roamed the floors. She was brought when i was 7 and had that bad diet always. My parents thinks animals are tough and can withstand any given conditions can survive on eating rocks can roam on floors and they think that vegetables are a feast for them as they eat grass in the wild. Does the pyramiding affects the overall health or it is just a shape of shell now. And i don,t think thats rubbing on the topmost part but some nutrient deficiancy. Thank you
Oh bless you I remember your first thread now, I sympathise for the position you’re in with her, none of this is your fault and it’s lovely that you’re here to try and improve things! Stick with us and the members can help advising you on her care.
As for the pyramiding, mild pyramiding, whilst not ideal, won’t have a detrimental effect on the tortoises health, it’s mainly cosmetic. Severe pyramiding however can definitely have life limiting effects.
In your case, if moving forward we can work on improving her care and correcting husbandry, she’ll be ok❤️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you for your reply. Everything else is normal she walks fine and does not slide but i think not for long until her legs are injured permanently. I will build a enclosure with good soil as fast as possible seeking advice from other threads in future. I will also focus on diet giving best of what is available in my area. Thank you for your kind support.
It’s reassuring to hear she still walks ok, like you say if continued to be allowed to walk smooth flooring it will eventually deteriorate😕
Will it be an indoor or outdoor set up you’re thinking of building? Outdoor would be ideal in your climate if you have your own space to secure🙂
We can help each step of the way, bless you for helping her❤️