Shell scratches

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
As a career animal behaviorist, it seems pretty obvious to me that the "kabuki dance" thing is the tortoise showing annoyance at the least. Kind of like when you grab a male frog or toad around the waist and they start croaking. They are telling you: "Hey dummy! I'm not a female, Get OFF me!"

I've yet to see a tortoise walk up and "ask" for a scratch like that, or stick around for one after it happens.

I'll admit right up front that I could be wrong about this, but one of my early mentors told to to always trust your gut. Him following that advice is how he avoided being eaten by big cats or dismembered by large apes. My gut tells me that those tortoises flinging themselves side to side don't like what you are doing. That sort of flailing in any other reptile is usually a predator escape mechanism.
That was my impression as well, but difficult to say for sure. None of my turtles/torts seem to appreciate and appear rather apprehensive about the ordeal. Others I've seen "appear" to really be into it (from a human perspective). Be nice if they would teach chelonian psychology in college. lol

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
With turtles I have seen videos where they go to spot to scratch themselves on purpose. The common explanation is that they are shedding scutes. Would they return to these same spots if they were uncomfortable? Is this different on tortoises versus turtles?

Here is one example:

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
With turtles I have seen videos where they go to spot to scratch themselves on purpose. The common explanation is that they are shedding scutes. Would they return to these same spots if they were uncomfortable? Is this different on tortoises versus turtles?

Here is one example:
Hmmm. The plot thickens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Here is one example:
Not sure you can compare sea turtles with tortoises or even fresh water turtles.
All very different living conditions and species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Here is one example:
A male frog that gets grab by another male frog and be described as uncomfortable. Does that male leave the area and never return, or is there something else drawing him in that over rides the discomfort level?

Also, self-scratching is different than a person reaching down and scratching a tortoise.