shell seperation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Question. On a couple of my Russians the marginals and the scutes are seperating. It is almost like the bottom half of the carapace is sliding down. The shell is not soft nor does it look sick, its just getting a big gap between the top scutes and marginals.

Attachments

• Isabelle's shell.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 87

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow , it looks like rapid growth from over feeding. But I have never seen it that bad (if thats what it is)

brummytort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, thats new growth - how long have you had them? It does seem as if there is a lot of new growth so can ony suggest at the moment that they are being overfed perhaps you could give a bit more info with regards to diet etc?

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
brummytort said:
Hi, thats new growth - how long have you had them? It does seem as if there is a lot of new growth so can ony suggest at the moment that they are being overfed perhaps you could give a bit more info with regards to diet etc?

Well I am glad to hear it may be only over feeding. Thank goodness! It very well may be too. They pretty much always have some greens to eat during the day. Shame on me huh?

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
brummytort said:

One more note. The girl in the picture I have had since January and this has happened since then. Wow, did not realize she was eating so much. I almost never see her eat. She must chow down while I am at work or away.

brummytort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
torts4me said:
brummytort said:

Well I am glad to hear it may be only over feeding. Thank goodness! It very well may be too. They pretty much always have some greens to eat during the day. Shame on me huh?

What greens are they getting and approx how much, btw really lovely tort!

oslinka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Our RT has also a growth ring, fortunately a smaller one. We did not feed him that much so I think there must be also another factor which can help the shell to grow badly. Our RT developed this after the "summer sleep" period when he became to eat normally. When aestivating, he ate eg. once in 3 days or so. This is how it looks now:
00002mensiic7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.