Shell shape

SpeedyPugh

OK - now I know what species our tortoise is I am now concerned about her (?) shell shape - is the pyramiding a bad thing? and if so - what are we doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• speedy2.JPG
    speedy2.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 68

yillt

Well in order to know what you are doing wrong we need to know what you are doing. How long have you had him? If he was brought up without a moist enclosure or he was overheated it could be to do with that.:)

SpeedyPugh

I'm guessing that means - yes - the shell shape is bad, then? We think he is a she (but open to offers on that...) but we have had her a year and I fear she has been overheated over the winter. She had a heat source but possibly couldn't get far away enough from it. We are building her an indoor home for winter and night time - hence all the questions. We live in France so she is able to live outside in the warmer months.
Is there anything we should be doing urgently to improve things? All suggestions and advice gratefully received - I am very much a novice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Please can you tell us how you keep her now?

We need to know what you feed her and how she is kept. What does she have for basking and for UVB? There are 4 key temperatures for indoor tortoises: directly under the basking, lamp, warm end, cool end and overnight minimum. You can't get rid of pyramidding, but with time it may become less obvious with growth. However, this tort looks pretty well full grown so we need to make sure that what we recommend keeps it healthy.

SpeedyPugh

She is outside in the daytime and inside at night. We are building a home for her so any recommendations gratefully received for the temperatures etc. She is fed on dandelions mainly, some cucumber and clover. She has a cuttlefish and access to clean water at all times. I am going to get some powdered calcium this week for on her food. Should we be soaking/misting her? And if so how much? At what age is she fully grown? She is around 3/4 and is 5.5 " long. So many questions... it is not easy to find info.... Thanks again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You tortoise needs to eat a variety of leafy greens. Its diet is too limited at the moment. Dandelions are fantastic, but it needs more than that. Take a look outdoors and see what plants you can identify and look in the shops too and then look them up on the Tortoise Table Plant Database to find out what's good to feed. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Unless you know the hatch date of your tortoise, it is impossible to know its age as they all grow at different rates. Similarly, maturity depends on size and not on age.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At that size/age, I wouldn't be misting her. However, a weekly soak does no harm. Soak more frequently, if you feel something is not right, e.g. she isn't eating properly or the weather is ridiculously hot

yillt

I'm guessing that means - yes - the shell shape is bad, then? We think he is a she (but open to offers on that...) but we have had her a year and I fear she has been overheated over the winter. She had a heat source but possibly couldn't get far away enough from it. We are building her an indoor home for winter and night time - hence all the questions. We live in France so she is able to live outside in the warmer months.
Is there anything we should be doing urgently to improve things? All suggestions and advice gratefully received - I am very much a novice.
The shell shape isn't too bad but it's not great. ;) sorry.

SpeedyPugh

That's OK - I really didn't know til now. Looking back at old pictures she has been like this since we got her so I don't feel too terrible. I do, however, want to do things right from now on. Anyway, I've been out this morning and she has some campanula, geranium and plantain to try for starters :).

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Make sure she is well hydrated! Clean water in her home/baths 3 times a week. Spray water a few times a day until the humidity starts to stay higher, and doesn't get evaporated immediately.

SpeedyPugh

Thanks YellowTurtle01 for your replies - we have been bathing her every other day and she always has clean water - I will try spraying her, too.:)