Shell

stinky.g

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello! I recently got a Russian tortoise and just noticed that lines around her shell are starting to get fairly white. After research I saw it could just mean growth. But I wanted to see if maybe anyone thought it could be shell rot or growth.

Attachments

• 8B2DBBD3-06AC-4FFB-8DA5-15958DFAB22F.jpeg
    8B2DBBD3-06AC-4FFB-8DA5-15958DFAB22F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20

stinky.g

Florida
Thank you so much! I got so worried as I have been struggling with keeping the humidity low in her cage, but hearing that someone believes it’s growth lines makes me feel much better!

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Thank you so much! I got so worried as I have been struggling with keeping the humidity low in her cage, but hearing that someone believes it’s growth lines makes me feel much better!

High humidity is actually recommended for smooth growth in young tortoises.
Have you read Tom's care sheet?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It is absolutely new growth. Shell rot looks nothing like that. And shell rot is very rarely found on the carapace. It's mostly a problem affecting the plastron.

I'm hoping your statement about keeping the humidity low was only because you thought it might be shell rot. Actually, lowering humidity will not help shell rot. It generally develops when the tort has been laying in water, usually because the substrate has been saturated, instead of just damp. The treatment for shell rot is athlete's foot cream, as the rot is a fungus.

Glad your baby doesn't have it!

Last edited: