Shiloh update-easy needle insertion tip

zoey vagner

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, ca
I gave Shiloh his 2nd round of antibiotic today. It was nerve-racking to say the least!
I had him eat a little bit before so he could feel comfortable and gave him a good snuggle (hes a mamas boy and loves attention from me, basically a hard dog hahah).
Anyway, I propped him on top of my leg so that his legs were on both sides and not touching the ground which made it super easy to have minimal movement as I inserted the needle. I also had a towel that I wrapped around his shell so that there was more traction over my leg for the initial jerk reaction to the needle.
Today, I was injecting into the right leg which was easy that the left (im a righty). Overall, it took just 15 seconds to stabilize, insert, inject, and remove.

Hope this helps anyone who needs to do injectables on their tortoise :] Not the most fun activity but there are easier ways to do it!

IMG_8740.JPG

zoey vagner

San Diego, ca
Thats a picture post shot. he was scared but came out a few moment later :] I can tell he is already feeling better from the first shot because he is eating a lot more and being more active.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thats a picture post shot. he was scared but came out a few moment later :] I can tell he is already feeling better from the first shot because he is eating a lot more and being more active.
Nice work, I'm very glad that he starting to feel better.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Excellent news! I hope to never have to give shots but it's good to know your technique.

zoey vagner

San Diego, ca
Do you aim for a spot in between the spurs?
your vet will let you know because it is dependent on their medication. for me it was intramuscular on the front leg (alternating every other leg for each shot) and I aimed for just underneath a spur at an angle. it gave me a little more control doing it this way. once the needle is in there was less movement of him trying to "get away" and I was able to smoothly inject. hope that helps you if you ever need to!