Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I wasn't sure where to put this. It is more of a Human health question.
My new Indian Star developed a runny nose so I took him to vet on Thursday. She took a culture, fecal, etc. She injected him with Fortaz abx and sent me home with the abx vial, some diabetic syringes, and instructions for further injection every three days.
Well, today I nervously injected him as instructed, and immediately poked myself good while trying to cap the needle.
My husband is a little freaked. He is a bit like Lucy (Peanuts) with dog germs. You can imagine how he is being with tort germs. =(
I flushed and "bled" it for some time.
I am sure its fine, but thought I'd ask here.
Ann from CT

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well, if it were me.. i'd just watch it and make sure it doesn't get infected.. but if you have any health issues.. immune problems.. maybe call your doc..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably going to be fine. I've done that before and nothing ever came of it.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
I've done that so many times...the last time the entire needle up to the hub went into my hand (wiggly puppy). I haven't had any problems from it yet!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Happy to hear I am not the only klutz. No offense, Yvonne. :blush:
I will report this to hubby. He actually wanted me to call the poison center! :D

Ann from CT

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Never recap a needle. One of the first things they teach in nursing school. You can dispose of the used needles in an empty plastic milk container or other empty plastic container with a lid. I would keep an eye on the puncture site and watch for symptoms of infection such as red streaks on the skin around the site, drainage from the site and a fever. There probably isn't a real need for alarm.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You will be just fine ….if your immune system is up to par nothing to worry about. Sounds like you did not inject yourself with the meds , just a simple poke after. Like most have stated just watch for infection if your subject to minor pokes and small infections. Torts like most herps are at greater risks of catching something from us….usually from “transmission” of pathogens from other animals and or unsanitary conditions, even not washing your hands well while your sick . An interesting fact , there are approx 900 million bacterial organisms in less than half a teaspoon of human saliva along with 150 types of bacteria…..no wonder they have the term … “Potty Mouth” … :rolleyes:
As far as getting rid of needles in bottles… **FIRST** …take pliers and bend the needle , till it snaps off…..Then you may place the syringe and needle in a sealed old soda/water bottle and discard in the trash ….a used needle should never be left complete with syringe still attached and dumped into a home waste facility .

JD~:)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Okay, thanks. We had just watched the movie, "District 9" the other night. I think his imagination was running amok. LOL

I wasnt sure what to do with the derned syringe and needle! I was going to ask my neighbor who is a diabetic. Or take them over to the veterinary hospital next door to my grooming shop. They have the hazardous waste containers.

Ann from CT

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I was thinking that your diabetic neighbor may have her needles picked up by a company, so maybe you could give your dirty needles to her to be picked up.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would just watch out for the sniffles. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.