Sick Russian :(

Emwebb1

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
We recently got a Russian tortoise about a month ago. Over the weekend his left eye became swollen and then the swelling started going down his neck. I took him to the vet today and they gave him a vitamin injection and ceftazidime injection. They sent me home with some to give every 3 days. He’s not having any respiratory issues but he can’t even put his head in his shell because of the swelling. He looks so pitiful and miserable. The vet said that the abx will take a while to work but I’m still really worried about my little guy. Has anyone dealt with this? How long before you started to notice your tortoise on the upswing?

Attachments

• 0D7EE30C-6CC7-4E3A-A2CE-1D99C8E577E2.jpeg
    0D7EE30C-6CC7-4E3A-A2CE-1D99C8E577E2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 303D4A06-D635-45A3-9C64-504C8F4C83C6.jpeg
    303D4A06-D635-45A3-9C64-504C8F4C83C6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
We recently got a Russian tortoise about a month ago. Over the weekend his left eye became swollen and then the swelling started going down his neck. I took him to the vet today and they gave him a vitamin injection and ceftazidime injection. They sent me home with some to give every 3 days. He’s not having any respiratory issues but he can’t even put his head in his shell because of the swelling. He looks so pitiful and miserable. The vet said that the abx will take a while to work but I’m still really worried about my little guy. Has anyone dealt with this? How long before you started to notice your tortoise on the upswing?
Did the vet give you a diagnosis?

Emwebb1

Virginia
He said it was some type of infection likely from an environmental cause. He didn’t think it was an abscess or anything like that. He said we would start the broad spectrum abx and see how he does. He also mentioned that I need to get a uvb light. I don’t believe the basking light I have is that type.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
He said it was some type of infection likely from an environmental cause. He didn’t think it was. an abscess or anything like that. He said we would start the broad spectrum abx and see how he does. He also mentioned that I need to get a uvb light. I don’t believe the basking light I have is that type.
Hummm. Wish s/he had given you details, then you'd have an idea what to do or change. An expert will appear and help, I'm sure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How is he looking this morning? I don't suppose he is eating, but to avoid dehydration as much as possible, you could put him in a tub with shallow warmish water, (not to cover his face) maybe with some pedialyte or baby carrot food, or both, in it, and make him soak in it for 15 or 20 minutes twice a day.

Emwebb1

Virginia
How is he looking this morning? I don't suppose he is eating, but to avoid dehydration as much as possible, you could put him in a tub with shallow warmish water, (not to cover his face) maybe with some pedialyte or baby carrot food, or both, in it, and make him soak in it for 15 or 20 minutes twice a day.
Hi Tammy,

Unfortunately Taki passed away. We tried to stimulate him with a warm bath but he hasn’t moved at all. My kids and I are very upset.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Sorry to hear about your tortoise! I don't understand why a vitamin injection was given - this usually indicates a bad vet. Vitamin injections should 90% of the time not be given to reptiles, as they can overdose on it instead of excrete the excess like mammals. Generally they make things worse rather than better.

Not sure what could cause the edema - some sort of organ/kidney failure? I am not a vet but just guessing. Someone more experienced can chime in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tammy,

Unfortunately Taki passed away. We tried to stimulate him with a warm bath but he hasn’t moved at all. My kids and I are very upset.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. Like Crimson said, edema like that (all that fluid under the skin around his neck) is usually caused by kidney problems. I really doubt the vitamin or antibiotic injections did anything to help the problem.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am so very sorry your tortoise did not survive.