Gout

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Sorry for the quality of the pic but Ruf was wiggling A LOT - Vet removed bumps on both sides of his neck (other side started to grow as well). He is a sleepy munchkin now. I prepared for him a temporary setup with paper towels and old duvet covers so he can snuggle. Vet said to visit for a month or so for taking the stiches out. I really feel relived uuuuhhhhh...., Vet was optimistic and there is a chance that with proper conditions and diet it won't grow back and he will be with me for a little while :):):):) Yupi!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"a disease in which defective metabolism of uric acid causes arthritis, especially in the smaller bones of the feet, deposition of chalkstones, and episodes of acute pain."

Maybe your vet meant goiter instead of gout?

Kasia

Poland
"a disease in which defective metabolism of uric acid causes arthritis, especially in the smaller bones of the feet, deposition of chalkstones, and episodes of acute pain."

Maybe your vet meant goiter instead of gout?
Hi

Nope, gout at least tortoise verison of it- google translate tells me so..
"the uric acid crystallizes and the crystals deposit in joints, tendons and surrounding tissues, an attack of gout occurs. Diagnosis may be confirmed by seeing the crystals in joint fluid or tophus. Blood uric acid levels may be normal during an attack"

She said that the bumps also can contain calcium oxolates deposited in the tissue. For torts it's common that deposit is found in neck area.

Last edited:

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi Kasia. Hope he ia doing well. This info sounds very similar to what I was told about my tort Ned.

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Kasia I am glad that the diagnosis is favorable. The most important thing is he is not in pain anymore. Now you've got whole summer to bring the little guy to shape and spoil him rotten:) I am sure that the almost tropical weather in Poland right now is very stimulating for him and that it will make his recovery faster! My best wishes to both of you.