New diagnosis: Gout

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Can anyone here give me details about their experiences with gout in tortoises? I did see a post from @Kasia somewhere on here. Medicine/dosage? Did you see improvement over time?

Sorry this is so long, but here’s a little history, if you care: My CDT is about 15 yo. Last year, I had noticed that he had an abscess on his front leg and some swelling in the back legs. Went to the vet and got an initial diagnosis of Osteomyelitis (bone infection). Doctor said he couldn’t get a needle into the abscess to do tests, but the bones looked a little opaque in the X-ray. He was given a two week course of Baytril and we left it at that. No follow up instructions. My little guy was still eating and moving about after treatment, so that was it, I figured he was ok. Last month or so, I noticed that he was limping a bit on his back leg. With the quarantine going on, I decided to monitor and wait a bit before going to the vet. Then one day, he just didn’t want to really move at all. I wanted to see the same vet since he is the recommended one on the TFO list, but didn’t want to wait a week, so thought I would check the other vet out (same office).

New vet says bones look a little more opaque than before and suspects gout. (Why wasn’t this suggested before since it seems to be more common than osteomyelitis?) Prescribes Meloxicam for pain (.4ml orally as liquid per day) and Allopurinol pills (I’ll get back with dosage). After the last experience, I wanted to get a confirmation of diagnosis, so I asked if there were any blood tests that could be done. She took blood and called me back. Said that all results look to be within normal ranges, even Uric acid (?) which is at 9.5 (top of range is 15). She says it’s hard to know what real ranges are for reptiles as there just aren’t as many cases and she suspects the Uric acid is still on the high end and holds that it is gout. I ask if there are other tests. She suggests getting a sample of the abscess. I told her doc couldn’t get needle in before but she says it can be done. I hate to talk about my baby’s health in terms of dollar signs, but I’m $400 in at this point. I’ll gladly pay the extra $200 to test the abscess if it will give a definitive answer, but everything just sounds so vague, with no real answers. I don‘t want to just wait and see like I did last time and I don’t want to give him the wrong medicines either. She said that I wouldn’t see improvement because gout is not curable, but that it would just stop it from getting worse. I feel so helpless right now. Thankfully, he’s still a hungry, hungry hippo at this point. Easing him into his meds slowly right now.

Since I know this will be asked, I soak him occasionally, though he rarely drinks that way, so I make sure his greens are always super wet. After doing some reading, I don’t think I have been keeping his enclosure as humid as it should be, so I’m working on that (substrate: orchid bark and coco coir). Also working on improving his diet and incorporating more weeds and grasses. He’s mainly been eating dandelion greens, romaine, endive and escarole when I can find it. Goes out for sunshine a couple days a week. I hope to have a better living area for him once I move out of this place, but I’m doing what I can in the meantime.

Any thoughts or suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Reactions: MT1

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I wish I had help to offer. Allopurinol is the same med used to treat gout in people, along with pain relief. So it sounds like your vet is treating appropriately.

And be sure of this...we DO care! We all love torts, and hate to hear that one is sick, especially with a chronic illness.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't possibly know the specifics but in general the main problems with DTs are:
  1. Dehydration. Soak early and often.
  2. Wrong food. Too much grocery store stuff.
  3. Extreme above ground temperatures that are too cold and too hot.
If you examine these things and fix what is wrong, the tortoise will likely fix itself.

KdeeA

5 Year Member
If the tortoise has gout, I believe the uric acid level would be high.
This is why I want to hear other people’s experiences with this. The doctor seems to think it’s on the high end of the normal range or maybe she just doesn’t know and is guessing at this point. This is my third time at the vet and second diagnosis. The only other exotics vet I know of in my area also saw my tort and just wanted to do surgery and charge me an arm and a leg. I don’t know what doctor to trust at this point. I’m so frustrated.

Reactions: MT1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why I want to hear other people’s experiences with this. The doctor seems to think it’s on the high end of the normal range or maybe she just doesn’t know and is guessing at this point. This is my third time at the vet and second diagnosis. The only other exotics vet I know of in my area also saw my tort and just wanted to do surgery and charge me an arm and a leg. I don’t know what doctor to trust at this point. I’m so frustrated.
If gout is the diagnosis, hydration will be the cure. Soak the tortoise every day in warm water for 30-40 minutes. Keep the water warm the whole time. When you feed the tortoise, spray the food with water first. Add in some foods with high water content. Spineless opuntia, cucumber, lettuce, etc...

If the diagnosis is wrong and its not gout, you'll have a well hydrated tortoise and this will help it fight off whatever the problem is.