shipping a tortoise...from a business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimm_reaper

5 Year Member
I am trying to ship my tortoise but apparently you can't ship animals for personal reasons. I have been informed that in order to ship my tortoise, I have to do it through a business. How in the world do I go about this? Will Veterinarian hospitals allow me to ship my tortoise through their business?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Having no clue where you live, I cannot speak to your specific situation. What I can tell you is that an individual can ship in the US. You do not have to be a business. You can ship Delta, UPS, and probably others.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know who you've contacted, but I have had no trouble at all shipping tortoises from my private, ordinary citizen address. I ship through UPS. I just box up the tortoise as shown in our thread here on the forum...mark the box,"Caution - Live Harmless Reptile" and take it to the UPS mailing center. They've never asked me if I were a business or not. They accept the package and it gets to the addressee the next day just fine.

Are you in the U.S.?

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
I do believe there are regulations (or even completely prohibited) to ship via USPS, but UPS/Delta should be fine.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Post Office is horrible for shipping. UPS automatically insures your package for $99. Not much for a Tort. Insure for more.

Shipping business to business will yield the best rates.

Give me 2 zips and I'll quote you residence to residence.

grimm_reaper

5 Year Member
I am shipping from the zip code 19711 and my tortoise will be arriving at the zip code 19711

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Then why not drive him if its the same zip?

grimm_reaper

5 Year Member
ohhh. wowza. huge mistake. i am shipping him from the zipcode 19711 to the zip code 39574

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It is illegal to ship tortoises, turtles and most other animals (with a few exceptions) through the Post Office. I believe FedEx still requires prior pick up notice and in some areas they service is sporadic.
UPS will ship reptiles as long as they are properly marked and a phone number for contact is on the box.
Look into a site called Shipyourreptile.com. UPS is their carrier but setting up the shipping through the site is actually 20-30% less than using UPS directly for the exact same service!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
webskipper said:
Post Office is horrible for shipping. UPS automatically insures your package for $99. Not much for a Tort. Insure for more.

Shipping business to business will yield the best rates.

Give me 2 zips and I'll quote you residence to residence.

UPS or any overnight carrier will not insure live animals........Use shipyourreptiles for the convienience factor........Don't go with Delta unless you understand the procedures involved........Airlines are always the best when shipping, but are usually a pain to deal with.......I've been using UPS for around 7 or 8 years and in that span I've had very few problems......

Status
Not open for further replies.