Shipping questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
I'm getting ready to ship a baby redfoot from Kansas to California, and I don't really know the process to well. I've looked up packaging details and shipping costs via UPS, but I had a question about heatpacks. What temperatures would I need one and where do I get one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have used the product called "Hot Hands." Its something to use as hand warmers in your pocket. I put them all around the inside edge of the shipping box, with a layer of protection (paper, etc) then the turtle/tortoise in a sock or pillow case in the center of the box filled with packing peanuts. Here's a link to a thread about shipping:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-1379.html

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Hand warmers are not a good choice for live reptile shipping, nor or they allowed under the FedEx live shipping TOS.

Hand warmers don't last long enough to be much use, AND they actually peak at a higher temp than an actual shipping heat pack.

For live reptile shipping, including torts, please use a 40 hour (or more) heat pack.

Torts do very well in shipping, but proper packaging is a must, as is paying attention to weather parameters.

At ShipYourReptiles we have a detailed Get Help section that will walk you through the entire process.

We also have specific sections to help you determine heat pack use and temperature restrictions.

We offer live arrival insurance, which no other carrier offers (not UPS, FedEx or Delta air freight). And pricing starts at 20% below the FedEx/UPS retail price.

Feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions, we are happy to walk you through the process!

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Shipyourreptiles reptiles is a great way to ship your tort. I believe that have a video as well to show you how to do it.
Temperatures can be tricky. More than happy to assist you. But if you need heat packs, use the 40 hour heat packs. You can get them and all your shipping supplies on the Shipyourreptiles website

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
I would say leave him. Don't add heat Warmers or Ice packs, it gets really hot in California and you wouldn't want him to overheat!

Status
Not open for further replies.