SHIPPING TORTOISES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Out of all my tortoises, I have had I think 13 of them shipped to me. Where I live, if it wasn't for shipping, I just plain and simple wouldn't be able to have them. There isn't a petstore for 50 miles, and they don't carry tortoises. Other than Kevin, I don't even know of anyone that breeds them, and he is a LONG ways away from me.

I would prefer to hand pick them all, but I just don't have that luxury. And it does stink that I am limited on some of the things I can get because people won't ship. Tortoises are shipped all the time and do just fine. I hear very very few horror stories that come from the actual shipping itself. Most of the bad experiences people have are because of what Jacqui said - you get the tortoise and it is sick or not as described. That in itself has absolutely nothing to do with the shipping itself, but the integrity of the seller.

I think the pros of shipping outweigh the cons. However, it is up to each person to decide what is best for their business. For me personally, I will never buy an Aldabra from you, not because they aren't great tortoises at a great price, which they are, but because I would have to literally drive almost 2,000 miles round trip. It would be cheaper for me to pay a higher purchase price plus $50 shipping to someone else. That isn't meant as any sort of insult, it just is what it is.

If I end up down there for some other reason, because I do have family there, that would be another story, but I haven't been there in 15 years, so it really isn't likely.

John

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
OK folks, I would like others opinions and thoughts on shipping or not shipping torotises. We have opted to not ship our hatchling aldabras for several reasons, but one I will disclose is that we do not want any issues with delivery. We are fortunate that we have a great customer base and usually sell all of our hatchlings without issue every year. I have had several folks inquire about a hatchling that are located far away and unable to pick one up in person. Most do not understand the no shipping policy, and some even argue. The way we do things, we have never had any conflict with delivery or payment. I understand that most ship inorder to provide to a larger customer base. So, I guess if you take out the needing a larger customer base, what are opinions on shipping regarding to risk vs reward? Also please feel free to expain any positive or negative experiences any of you would like to, to support the pros and cons. Thanks to all.

Hey Greg, ship one of those there aldacockers up my way I'll let ya know how the shipping went. DEAL:cool:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If it weren't for shipping, I wouldn't have Pio or Solo. Each person who shipped them to me waited until the weather was perfect before they would ship, and they came in perfect condition. There would have been no way that I could get them otherwise. I've also had quite a few boxies shipped to me, and each came in perfect condition, so I have no problem with shipping. I'm sure there are lots of people here who wouldn't have a tort if it weren't for shipping. But like the man said...if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you are happy with the way things are going for you, without shipping, then why change things.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I agree, if it works for you, then keep doing it that way. Love your babies by the way. Wished I could have one!;)

I do hate to have an animal shipped, but glad that some do, cause I wouldn't have my leopard baby otherwise. I'm so in love with him. :D

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
squamata said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
OK folks, I would like others opinions and thoughts on shipping or not shipping torotises. We have opted to not ship our hatchling aldabras for several reasons, but one I will disclose is that we do not want any issues with delivery. We are fortunate that we have a great customer base and usually sell all of our hatchlings without issue every year. I have had several folks inquire about a hatchling that are located far away and unable to pick one up in person. Most do not understand the no shipping policy, and some even argue. The way we do things, we have never had any conflict with delivery or payment. I understand that most ship inorder to provide to a larger customer base. So, I guess if you take out the needing a larger customer base, what are opinions on shipping regarding to risk vs reward? Also please feel free to expain any positive or negative experiences any of you would like to, to support the pros and cons. Thanks to all.

Hey Greg, ship one of those there aldacockers up my way I'll let ya know how the shipping went. DEAL:cool:

aldacockers Is that a new species I mean breed :p LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.