Shirley, you can't be serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
071_zpsfa90e54d.jpg

Middle of winter in AZ and it's below freezing all around the state.

The temp gun is pointed at a blanket I threw over the leopard tortoise house for a little better insulation. I must have shifted my hand before I took the picture; one area I thought I had it on showed -1.5 degrees.

Brrrrr......

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That is really cold! What's strange is that it is supposed to be that cold here. It it has been in the 50's! I hope the cold spell ends soon for you!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
I hope the cold spell ends soon for you!

It was only supposed to last till Tuesday, but yesterday they extended it through Wednesday. :(

Hey, who changed the title? It was supposed to be the Airplane joke "Shirley, you can't be serious"...lol.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
RE: Surely, you can't be serious!

Side note kinda related: went to target yesterday and only in Az do they sell the bikinis right next to the winter coats.

The cold spell is kinda weird and is messing up the temps in all my cages.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri

I'm always serious and don't call me Shirley.

The weather everywhere has been crazy. On Friday here in Mid-Mo it was a mere 3 degrees from breaking the record high of 66, the next day we got an inch of snow and by Sunday the high was 19 degrees. Go figure. :/

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

RedfootsRule said:
I think I see frost on your hand....

The past 2 years or so my hands become completely chapped once winter starts...I don't know if it's cause I'm getting older or if I'm turning into a zombie, but it's pretty gnarly looking. You can't tell from the picture, but this part of my hand is actually bright red. TMI.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But then you never said, "Don't call me Shirley!" in the post, so I thought it was a mistake.

We're having a cold snap here too, but certainly not that cold! Last night here was 25F. Maybe your reading is centigrade?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
But then you never said, "Don't call me Shirley!" in the post, so I thought it was a mistake.

We're having a cold snap here too, but certainly not that cold! Last night here was 25F. Maybe your reading is centigrade?

I'm glad that you at least know the reference Yvonne! :) But a wizard always says precisely what he means to. (I'm a nerd)

The ambient temperature is in the 20's, but the surface temperature on the ground and on things like the leopard house and walls was reading much lower than that.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Even Florida it will get into the 30's in some areas. My babies are enjoying the mid 70's right now, but on Thursday the temps are going to be in the 40's high. That may sound like a hot spell for you, though.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida

Neal said:
RedfootsRule said:

The past 2 years or so my hands become completely chapped once winter starts...I don't know if it's cause I'm getting older or if I'm turning into a zombie, but it's pretty gnarly looking. You can't tell from the picture, but this part of my hand is actually bright red. TMI.

I don't think I could handle chapped hands...But my hands turn bright red when I'm snow-skiing...And your face and ears and pretty much everywhere exposed to wind :). (TMI?)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

I just got it...I'm a bit slow this morning...but, I think "Shirley" is a take on "surely"...me thinks.

Spn785 said:
I'm always serious and don't call me Shirley.

The weather everywhere has been crazy. On Friday here in Mid-Mo it was a mere 3 degrees from breaking the record high of 66, the next day we got an inch of snow and by Sunday the high was 19 degrees. Go figure. :/

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I did get the reference right away, and this movie came out 5 years before I was born. Actually my parents weren't even engaged yet. :p Now how many people feel old? LOL

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

Neal said:
RedfootsRule said:

That happens to me every winter. Between my fingers and my knuckles bleed. It sometimes gets so bad that I have to put hydrocortisone on them for 5 days to get a handle on it. My doc calls it winter eczema. It is painful!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't you people wear gloves?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
emysemys said:
Don't you people wear gloves?

I do but I think for me it is the dry air and all the hand washing I do. I used hand sanitizer in the grocery store yesterday and almost screamed aloud. It was like my hand was set on fire and dipped in broken glass! Darn you chapped hands!

Thalatte

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
I do but I think for me it is the dry air and all the hand washing I do. I used hand sanitizer in the grocery store yesterday and almost screamed aloud. It was like my hand was set on fire and dipped in broken glass! Darn you chapped hands!

I get the same way so I keep a bottle of jergens ultra healin lotion by every sink so that I can out some on after washing. I also have taken to using ALOT of lotion and the. Wearing cotton gloves at night. It helps a little as atleast they don't bleed anymore but they are still dry.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I cant wait for the Freeze warning to lift so I can uncover my poor plants and give them a nice long soak!

Neal said:
RedfootsRule said:

My four year old has the same problem... so I dont think it's because your getting old. Lotion helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.