Shopping List Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maricopa, AZ
jtrux said:
100 would buy a lot of plywood. You could build a nice 4x8 for that. I would avoid premade enclosures, make your own and save some money.

That's true. The more I look at the pre-made enclosures, the more I think it's not worth it. They all seem really small. I think I'll stick with the aquarium for now. It could actually be fun trying to build one myself. Maybe my brother would help me. :)

I ordered:

(2) Zoo Med 8 1/2" Deluxe Dome Clamp Lamps
Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts
Rep-Cal Calcium - Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free (4.1 oz) Green Bottle
Exo Terra Sepia Bones for Turtles

I found that the walmart here has the acu-rite thermometer set I want and I'll get a flood light at the hardware store, so I'm going to get them tomorrow. Progress! Sigh, starting to feel better. :)

Anyone know a good place to get mazuri and salad style food topper? I found them on tortoisesupply.com but the shipping is more than the products. Yikes! I also tried to get the spineless cactus pads on there, but for some reason it lets me pick how many lbs but there is no add to cart button. Weird.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Tortoisecafe for your Mazuri needs. What are you doing for UVA/UVB?

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Thank you! I'll check that place out. I'm in AZ and we're still getting highs of mid to high 80's right now so they get sun time every day. I'll buy a bulb for it when the time comes that it's too cold to take them outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
KBisMe said:
Thank you! Any recommendations on a closed chamber I can buy? I'm not all that handy so building one isn't really in the cards for me Lol.

Click here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58180.html?highlight=Where+to+BUY+a+Closed+Chamber#axzz2ARq3m7Bd

So glad to see this thread get some use. :D Some Pet stores have started building their own cages. They can custom build them to whatever size you want. Make sure they know it will be for a high humidity species and don't let them use particle board.

If know one near you makes them, both of these guys will ship. I think its worth it.

If have built many of my own enclosures. When you price out all of the materials, I mean AAALLLLLLL of the materials, wood, screws, bits, paint and primer, silicone sealant, caulking gun, glass for the front, hangers for lights and fixtures, fixtures, wiring, and all the millions of little things that don't come to mind right now, not to mention your time, tools, etc... Having someone else build it is a huge BARGAIN. In the past I have chosen to build my own, because I couldn't find anyone who could or would build what I wanted. It takes a lot of time, its a pain in the rear, and the price for just the materials is pretty close to what I would pay someone for a finished cage.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Tom said:
KBisMe said:
Thank you! Any recommendations on a closed chamber I can buy? I'm not all that handy so building one isn't really in the cards for me Lol.

Click here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58180.html?highlight=Where+to+BUY+a+Closed+Chamber#axzz2ARq3m7Bd

So glad to see this thread get some use. :D Some Pet stores have started building their own cages. They can custom build them to whatever size you want. Make sure they know it will be for a high humidity species and don't let them use particle board.

If know one near you makes them, both of these guys will ship. I think its worth it.

If have built many of my own enclosures. When you price out all of the materials, I mean AAALLLLLLL of the materials, wood, screws, bits, paint and primer, silicone sealant, caulking gun, glass for the front, hangers for lights and fixtures, fixtures, wiring, and all the millions of little things that don't come to mind right now, not to mention your time, tools, etc... Having someone else build it is a huge BARGAIN. In the past I have chosen to build my own, because I couldn't find anyone who could or would build what I wanted. It takes a lot of time, its a pain in the rear, and the price for just the materials is pretty close to what I would pay someone for a finished cage.

Awesome, thanks! My dad lives in Glendora. I know he was seeing a doctor in Yorba Linda for a while, so I don't think he's too far from there. Maybe I can get him to pick it up and drive it out here. I can't imagine shipping costs would be cheap!

I found a big 50 gal rubbermaid tote in my garage, so I think I'm going to switch to that and use it while I work on getting a custom big one made. I'm waiting for my neighbor to call back so I can talk to her about giving one back and I'll ask her what they're doing too. Maybe her friend she got them from can recommend somewhere local.

I'm also ordering some seeds from carolinapetsupply. So far I have the tortoise grazing mix, dandelions, and spineless cactus. Anything else you'd recommend I get? I'd like to get stuff for outdoors and for their indoor enclosure.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Here is a picture of the weeds that have taken over half of my backyard.

Attachments

• image-656063168.png
    image-656063168.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 15

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
KBisMe said:
I'm also ordering some seeds from carolinapetsupply. So far I have the tortoise grazing mix, dandelions, and spineless cactus. Anything else you'd recommend I get? I'd like to get stuff for outdoors and for their indoor enclosure.

Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a "Testudo Mix" that I am in LOVE with. The stuff is awesome. It has been growing really well for me here in my hot dry climate. Just a 4x4' patch of it has given me around 10 five gallon buckets full of tortoise food. It has been producing for me all summer long and continues to do so. At one point I had a major gopher attack in that enclosure and I thought the whole thing was done, but it bounced back amazingly well and I pull food out of there about every second or third day. I just received a second baggie of it from him.

I also get seeds from "Peaceful Valley Farms". Their "Premium Pasture Mix" is second to none. Mostly grass, but it grows really well. I also use their non-dormant alfalfa. I've got some clover going to, but that has not done as well with the summer heat and the direct sun. I think it will do better over our "winter".

Plant yourself some spineless opuntia cactus pads too. Grapevines also do really well, and hibiscus will do well in some areas of the country. Also looks for any friends family or neighbors with a mulberry tree. The leaves are great for them.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Tom said:
KBisMe said:

Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a "Testudo Mix" that I am in LOVE with. The stuff is awesome. It has been growing really well for me here in my hot dry climate. Just a 4x4' patch of it has given me around 10 five gallon buckets full of tortoise food. It has been producing for me all summer long and continues to do so. At one point I had a major gopher attack in that enclosure and I thought the whole thing was done, but it bounced back amazingly well and I pull food out of there about every second or third day. I just received a second baggie of it from him.

I also get seeds from "Peaceful Valley Farms". Their "Premium Pasture Mix" is second to none. Mostly grass, but it grows really well. I also use their non-dormant alfalfa. I've got some clover going to, but that has not done as well with the summer heat and the direct sun. I think it will do better over our "winter".

Plant yourself some spineless opuntia cactus pads too. Grapevines also do really well, and hibiscus will do well in some areas of the country. Also looks for any friends family or neighbors with a mulberry tree. The leaves are great for them.

Thank you!!! The testudo mix and salad style were just delivered. :) I ordered cactus pads from carolinapetsupply on the 1st and it still says processing. I wish I would have found Austin at AZ Sulcata before ordering from them! He's not far from me, so I'll definitely be getting it from him next time. I got mazuri from tortoisecafe and that came really quick. I've only given it to them once so far, but they ate more that day than ever before! I looked on the Peaceful Valley Farms website, but the only thing that came up when I searched "Premium Pasture Mix" was a horse pasture mix? Is that the right one? It said it was unavailable.

I also got hardware cloth for my outdoor enclosure today. I have an old bookcase I popped the back off of that I'm going to use while I get the testudo mix growing. I have some weeding to do first though. Anything specific I should do for that stuff? How often to water, etc? Everything I've ever planted has died, so I suck at stuff like that Lol.

I've read a lot about thermostats and know I want to get one to monitor night temps, but want to find an affordable one that works well. I'm not too worried about that yet though because I actually do sit next to the tank all day Lol. I work from home and my desk is about 3 feet from them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.