Should i be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jldnbr

5 Year Member
Hi,
This has been coming out of my spur thighed female and don't know what it is. I've taken her to the vet but they are not concerned. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1506518515.png
    image-1506518515.png
    831.1 KB · Views: 71

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Congrats, it's a boy! Nothing to worry about, as long as it goes back inside. That is simply your tortoise doing what we call "flashing". What your seeing is his penis. ;)

jldnbr

5 Year Member
Thank you for clearing that up!

All I ever wanted to know.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I was just gonna say...it's a boy!.......their penis looks like that...sorta like a purple flower

also if your vet didnt tell you it was a boy..then I wouldnt trust taking my tort back!....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jojodesca said:
also if your vet didnt tell you it was a boy..then I wouldnt trust taking my tort back!....

In some case, even with "tortoise experts", the gender of a tortoises is not always clear until something like a flashing happens. I personally would not drop a Vet just for not knowing my tortoise was a male.... just sayin'.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Jacqui said:
jojodesca said:

In some case, even with "tortoise experts", the gender of a tortoises is not always clear until something like a flashing happens. I personally would not drop a Vet just for not knowing my tortoise was a male.... just sayin'.

well..she stated that her vet wasnt concerned...so that tells me they didnt know...they could have said.."well thats his penis, it's nothing to be concerned about"..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well flashing is nothing to be concerned about, but the vet should have told them why it is no big deal.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Or the owner should always (and I am not picking on this owner, this is a general thing everybody should learn to do), ask follow up questions any time about anything a Vet, a Dr, or so on, tells them that is not clear or they want more information about. These professionals owe us the time to cover carefully and completely until we understand as much detail as we need, what is going on and why it is happening. Now like with all communication unless we express ourselves our need to know more, then we can't fully hold the other guy at fault. Even in here, we need to be willing to ask and to give the information until the person with the problem is clear on the subject.

So like in this case, perhaps the Vet did not fully understand the poster did not know their tortoise was a male and that was a penis. The Vet could have thought maybe this was one of those folks who can not talk about a penis for whatever reason. Perhaps the Vet mistakenly thought they had said what is was and why it was not a problem. They are human and do also get rushed, which is why it's our responsibility to do follow up questions.

Now in this case, I don't think the original poster was complaining about the Vet, so please don't feel like I took it that way. I am just further explaining why I would not dump this Vet just yet.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I guess what we all need to know is in fact did the poster take her tortoise to the vet and they actually seen this sticking out. If they did see it, then they should know it was a penis, and told the owner. If they didn't know, then they have no right being a vet of tortoises. It sad that they will take a persons money and give them false information. Which btw has been the case with alot of ppl on TFO who post about their vets. Also Vets and Dr.s should not "tiptoe" around explaining things in medical terms.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Either way, this owner now knows, beyond a doubt, that this is a boy :D
Seeing as how he is "on display" and the owner is worried
Would soaking him help keep him comfortable in the mean time?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Soaking seems to make them want to flash more, I am not saying stop soaking him, has it gone back in? or is it stuck out?

jldnbr

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Soaking seems to make them want to flash more, I am not saying stop soaking him, has it gone back in? or is it stuck out?

Yes it had gone back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.