Should I Dig Out My Tortoise At Night?

Andy Kizer

Hi. I have a 2-year-old Hermann's Tortoise. I live in Arizona and he stays outside in a secure enclosure during the day. Around mid-afternoon he will dig himself into a little hole and go to sleep. Around 10pm or so, I will go outside and dig him out and bring him back into the house (I worry he will get scared or cold). The nighttime low is about 60 degrees. Should I be bringing him inside, or is it better to leave him out there? He seems irritated when I disturb him :). Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
If the enclosure is secure so that nothing can get in there to him I would leave him out at 60°. As long as it's not raining and the daily temperatures are getting at least to the 70s or 80s.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
They can 100% fully handle temperatures that drop into the 50s even when very very young, so as long as the enclosure is protected and cannot flood, there's no reason to be bringing the animal inside at night. They are wild at heart and can take care of themselves, plus the constant handling and moving around will inevitably cause unnecessary stress.