Should I get a 6ft or 8 ft enclosure now or later?

Bulbabye.

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
Hello everyone!
I have a three year old tortoise who is currently in a 4ft enclosure, however, I want to upgrade it to a 6ft or even 8ft enclosure .would it be okay for me to get it now or should I wait until she is older?
If so what size would be more appropriate ?

And what size would she need for when she is an adult at fill size?

Thanks

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Which species do you have? 8x4 ft is recommended as a minimum for adult testudo I believe, so I wouldn't waste money on a 6ft - go as big as you can now. Will this be an indoor or outdoor set up?

Bulbabye.

United kingdom
Which species do you have? 8x4 ft is recommended as a minimum for adult testudo I believe, so I wouldn't waste money on a 6ft - go as big as you can now. Will this be an indoor or outdoor set up?
Hello, thank you for replying!
She is a russian tortoise , she is currently indoors but I am planning to have her in a heated shed in May this year so she can have more space. Which is why I was thinking 6ft as a better option.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she can live outside 24/7 at least in the warmer months then a 4x6 would be fine. However if not then the minimum for an adult Russian is 4x8

Bulbabye.

United kingdom
If she can live outside 24/7 at least in the warmer months then a 4x6 would be fine. However if not then the minimum for an adult Russian is 4x8
Do you know any reputable and cost effective places where I could get a 4x8 tortoise table? I have heard that people have used book cases for larger enclosures .

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Portable raised garden beds, pop up portable green houses, bookcases or make your own are all cheaper easy ideas.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Make sure the sides of the enclosure are a good height in case tort decides to try some rock climbing - you'll want to account for decent substrate depth. Capping off the corners would be a good idea. Show us your end product when you've got it set up, I'm sure it'll be great!