Should I save him?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
I think what jacqui qas getting at is she didn't want you to "save" this tort to turn around and have to rehome it.

Also in my opinion if you had no way financal or other to "save" this tort then our opinions and time to read this thread would be wasted. When we could have been giving out opinion to an other person who needs the help.

Myself as well not trying to be rude but that is my thought and jacqui in my opinion is right to bring it up as others may not know your situation to fully answer should "YOU" save him

I would hate to think that 5 minutes of reading this thread was "waste of time" as you put it. And that is a valid question, however, I already stated I have the financial capability to rescue this little guy. And in no way did I ever insinuate that I would trade him off later because I couldn't care for him.

As far as knowing my situation, maybe asking the questions themselves would be better. And you can never know every factor in someone's life through a forum.

Sorry if I sound rude, I really am not trying to be. I am just trying to express my point. If I am sounding rude, I am deeply sorry, and you can let me know via PM. I would really like to try to keep arguments or criticism private rather than out there for everybody.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Ripkabird98 said:
jaizei said:
Ripkabird98 said:
I have the financial capability to rescue this little guy.

$200?

Pardon?

If by saying that you have the financial capability to rescue him you are referring to the aforementioned $200, then I don't think that is sufficient. $200 dollars doesn't last long. Do you have a job?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I think everyone is meaning that its a sick tortoise. Food is not all it will need. Likely a few trips to the vet, medicine, etc. The initial $200 to buy him is a down-payment, basically.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Ripkabird98 said:
jaizei said:
Ripkabird98 said:
I have the financial capability to rescue this little guy.

$200?

Pardon?

If by saying that you have the financial capability to rescue him you are referring to the aforementioned $200, then I don't think that is sufficient. $200 dollars doesn't last long. Do you have a job?

I am 15 in 5 days, so I do not have a job. I do get payed a hefty sum weekly for jobs around the house. And I have medicine already, and a vet who can do payment plans.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ripkabird98 said:
1) I don't mean to be rude, but I really think that that is something I deal with, not you. I was simply asking if you guys thought I should. I will deal with my parents, that's really not something that is any of your concern. I respect you, and you know much more than me, and I know you are an admin, but that is still a personal matter.

My being a Mod (not an Admin) had nothing to do with me asking. I know your a minor and live with your Mother from previous posts and threads, thus asking if your Mother is okay with it was the point. To me, it's as much a part of giving an opinion on if you should buy this tortoise as is the health of it and the question of if you have the money. There is a big picture to look at when getting a new animal, I just wanted to clarify a part others had not yet addressed.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
I think everyone is meaning that its a sick tortoise. Food is not all it will need. Likely a few trips to the vet, medicine, etc. The initial $200 to buy him is a down-payment, basically.

Aaah! Here is the problem. I mean I would have $200 AFTER I get him.

My vet is very flexible, and could work out a payment plan (which we have to do with a dog) and I am willing to cough up that kind of cash. I emailed for more pics and info, so hopefully I will get an answer soon!

Jacqui said:
Ripkabird98 said:
1) I don't mean to be rude, but I really think that that is something I deal with, not you. I was simply asking if you guys thought I should. I will deal with my parents, that's really not something that is any of your concern. I respect you, and you know much more than me, and I know you are an admin, but that is still a personal matter.

My being a Mod (not an Admin) had nothing to do with me asking. I know your a minor and live with your Mother from previous posts and threads, thus asking if your Mother is okay with it was the point. To me, it's as much a part of giving an opinion on if you should buy this tortoise as is the health of it and the question of if you have the money. There is a big picture to look at when getting a new animal, I just wanted to clarify a part others had not yet addressed.

My mother said that if I am willing to care for it, even if that means force feeding meds every 2 hours, then I can go for it, but that I have to understand he will be alot of work, and may still not even make it.

After that post, I see your point. My apologies, that made it much more clear to me! :D

Sorry about my Stand-Offish behavior.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
This makes sense now seeing as you are 14. I would say the only problem I will notice, even if you do get an allowance, is the commitment at such a young age. This tortoise won't be able to live in your room forever. I've had mine in my room for 6months and I already need to build him a larger enclosure. Plus, eventually you will need to keep it outside and separate from your dog. Unless you plan on moving out on your own (into a house because an apartment won't be big enough) in the next couple years, you will probably have to discus an outside enclosure with your parents as well.

Just some things to think about. I wish you luck with your decision! :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I say no. Your heart is in the right place, but that redfoot is expensive enough as is without the possibility of additional sickness. If you truly want another tortoise I recommend a place like tortoise supply. Not only are they cheaper (albeit only $5), but they come with a health guarantee.

It's not your job to rescue a sick tortoise, and this is coming from someone who was exactly the same when he was your age. If you have the means, excellent, but on your fixed income you may do more harm than good if you can't afford vet fees, which can add up quickly. Meanwhile, the tortoise could've been rehomed to someone with the means to take care of a sick tort.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Well here is the deal.

I got more pictures on my phone, but that doesn't mean much because they are very crappy quality.

I got them down to $75 for Tortoise only.

I think I am going to get him. I am still thinking about it, but my mind is pretty much made up. I have also recieved a pm or two (you know who you are ;) that really made me feel that I can do this, and motivated me.

As far as room, I sincerely hope that 10x6 is large enough, which is all I can make what with what is going to be taken by my Sulcata.

Apparently this replaced their daughters Russian tortoise (dear god) who escaped through a "hole that he dug real quick like in his outside enclosure, never saw him again". Now that it's been 3 months, the daughter has left him to the mom, who didn't want him to be hers, so now she is selling him. Go figure.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
abclements said:
Ripkabird98 said:
Something keeps whispering to get him... -_-

That one pic just screams "I'M DYING! PLEASE HELP!"

I would be concerned about the closed eyes as well. I would definitely check his shell for softness, check for appetite and if he opens his eyes during a soak and keeps them open. You dont want to spend 150 bucks on a tort that you have no chance at saving... i dont want to be the downer but it is something to think about

This is my worry, too. The only time my tort (aside from sleeping) closes her eyes, is when I'm petting her head, or when she's relaxing in a warm soak.

Visually, it's hard to see anything else particularly wrong...No pyramiding, etc.

I would love to have you save him. It'd be amazing. And I know you'd love to have another tort! But as said by others, it'd be not only tragic and sad, but unwise to get him if he isn't going to make it.

I'd ask the person a lot of questions, and even go as far to ask them to take him to a vet to be looked at.

When I got my tortoise, the rescue worked closely (And most of it's members were trained vets) with a vet, so my tortoise had a promised bill of health, and papers to boot.

That story about their Russian escaping certainly is....troubling. They really, really should have made a better enclosure and paid MUCH more attention. I know they dig, but they aren't going to break out, and run away that fast. Tortoises don't exactly sprint away.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
I'm going to go ahead and ask the evil question....

What are their Personalities like? I mean, not be completely an awful person, but I don't want to throw all this work into a tortoise that turns out to be one I just don't like. I know about indivduality and everything, but the AVERAGE redfoot. The typical one. Are they personable? Do they like Humans?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
They are generally considered to be very personable, and yes, as far as torts go, like humans.

I have heard really no stories saying otherwise, and can personally vouch that mine is very, very friendly.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Nixxy said:
They are generally considered to be very personable, and yes, as far as torts go, like humans.

I have heard really no stories saying otherwise, and can personally vouch that mine is very, very friendly.

Even one vouch is enough to assure me. I just didn't want a species that is KNOWN WIDELY for being like OMG! A HOOMAN! HIDEZ!!!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Well, they are certainly anything but!

Mine loves to be hand fed, and I've heard a lot of others say their's do as well.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Red foots are known for being personable more out going when healthy and are in the right setting when it is healthy again you should be fine to feed from your hands.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes, redfoots are typically very friendly. But it's a lot about how your raise them. Even my Leopard is very outgoing and friendly, and they're known to be shy.

So wait, you already have a Sulcata? How big is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.