Sick baby sulcata--advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hello Everyone,
My name is Sylvia and I'm the proud parent of two baby Sulcata tortoises. The one that seems to me to be a male is called Beasty Boy, and the other is a girl (I think) named Honey Girl. They are 10 months old now, and I've had them since they were 1 month old. I also have a semi-aquatic turtle who is nearly 24 years now.
When I got the babies, I checked the internet to read all I could about what to feed them, and how to house them. It was somewhat confusing because some people would say use and try this, while others would discourage it. A good example is the issue of feeding the babies fruit. Some would say any fruit would do, while others would say don't ever feed them bananas. So, I used my own good motherly sense and feed them spring mix, chopped apples from time to time, and I would give them a daily soaking for 10-20 minutes. Also, I would take them to the park for one hour of sunshine and exercise. They is where I think they were the happiest because they would roam and taste one weed, then move one to another. One in a while they'd snap up a little flowering weed.
All was well until one of the babies started to have trouble defecating and passing urine. I thought there may be an obstruction in the bladder or intestines; so, I took him to the vet. They took samples of his fecal matter and told me he had pin-worms. They also took x-rays and found a bunch of small stones in the intestines, and one large one in his bladder. Other then to give me medicine for the worms, they told me to return in a couple of days if he continued to have trouble. Well, of course he'd still have trouble because I saw the x-rays--there were at least 25 small stones in one place in that tiny body of his. How in the world is he going to pass that without surgery? Can anyone offer advice?

bogart20

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I dnt have any advice but that sucks big time poor little sulcata. Srry to hear he's havin troubles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Sorry to hear about your trouble with the little one. Giving a bump to get your thread more help. I don't know what to tell you except to keep soaking every day and try doing it in a large area, like a tub so he has lots of room to walk around. With some luck, the moving around might also get the stones to move on out. Good luck, others will be around to help, just hang on.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, lube him up....you can feed some mineral oil to your tort (hide some in a yummy strawberry or other treat he can not resist and do this while he is still interested in eating....also, when you soak him you will want to soak him for AT LEAST an hour in warm water and you will want to do this at least 2 times a day and better yet 3 times....you must get the rocks slick and moving and you need to get this happening asap...the longer the stones remain, he will begin to lose his appetite, will begin to sleep and become lethargic--all of which are not beneficial to get the stones out...

Also, when you are soaking him be sure to do so in a tub that is tall enough that he can not get out--you will see he is likely going to begin to walk about and dig at the sides, all of this is alright and is good--motion is an aid also in getting things moving (clearing the poop shoot)....just be sure that you can glance at him while soaking to make sure he has not flipped in the water especially since you are making him soak for an extended period of time (also you may want to set a light above him for heat to assure his water does not cool too much) the water level should be high enough to cover his entire underside and just above the seem where top/bottom of shell meet and so that he can raise his head out of the water but high enough to cover his legs and seep up under his leg cavity and such....besides a tort consuming water their body in a couple spots absorbs some of the water.....so, long warm water soak, feed em some mineral oil (also, if you can get some really water heavy items into him--watermelon, romaine) for now would be beneficial as well, and get him moving--either in the soaking tub and/or outdoors in the natural sun....motion is very important...:D

Ooops, meant "seam"....lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Sylvia!

So now you know that you need to be sure the tortoises area is pebble/rock free, huh?

Besides getting the mineral oil down his throat, you can also squirt a bit up into the cloaca (the hole in the tail) with an eye dropper. Don't use any other type of oil. Mineral oil is non-absorbtive, meaning, it will just coat all the "stuff" inside the tortoise and not be absorbed or digested. This will help the stones to slide out.

Good luck, and please keep us informed.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Mineral oil on food, Lots of warm long soaked keeping water warm the whole time, I would try feeding canned pumpkin or baby food pumpkin/squash. it will help get things moving and lubed with the mineral oil.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
OK people, now I'm paranoid and freaking out a little. I have 2 sulcatas and they roam freely on 10 acres. Does this mean they're outside eating rocks all day?!?!?!?! :eek:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
OK people, now I'm paranoid and freaking out a little. I have 2 sulcatas and they roam freely on 10 acres. Does this mean they're outside eating rocks all day?!?!?!?! :eek:

Likely they have eaten their share of yummy rocks and such...problem is when they make those items their main food :)D) and refuse anything else and that accompanied with a dehydrated tort and you have a bad recipe for increased chance of impaction....

If you have had them roaming for some time and their appetites and drinking/soaking behavior has remained strong...likely you will not have that issue...

I only have one Redfoot here that appears to enjoy the occasional rock appetizer...the rest would prefer the greens...lol

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My goodness, I hope not. My babies got pebbles from the park and on my lawn. I don't know if living in a sandy area of the gulf had put my sulcatas at risk, but if they roam around 10 acres, you may want to check on them to see if they are defecating and urinating. I believe if your sulcatas are adults, that if they were to eat small rocks, that they can pass it very easily. But my babies are only 10 months old, and one of them eats everything he sees. That can be a problem, and it was. If your sulcatas are adults, it may be safe to say they are ok. Thanks for your reply because everyone who owns sulcatas should know about this potential problem. Now you do.
Sylvia

shellysmom said:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Update On Beasty Boy- the rock eating baby sulcata.
Thanks for the many replies and well wishers out there. I've taken the advice to get mineral oil into my baby one way or another. He still eats and I've soaked him in warm distilled water 3-4 times a day. He is really loving watermelon. A few days ago, he was in real pain and after several attempts to get mineral oil up his rear end, he pooped a large pebble out. After that, he has been passing out smaller, grid-like stones. He still cries though, and I'm beginning to think that the bladder stone is the real problem with him. The x-rays showed a large stone--really too large for him to pass. Even though he urinates, it's not anywhere like the amounts he use to pass. Now, I'm noticing a new problem--his under shell is beginning to look a little bruised. Some of the lines are pinkish in color which may indicate an infection (I read), but the discoloring of the shell worries me. What could this mean? Does anyone know? I've been avoiding taking him to the vets because I'm afraid that they'll want to do surgery, and I'm not ready to have this baby's shell cut out. I'm trying to have his own system fight out the rocks, but the bladder is another story. Please advise if you know about this. Sylvia

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please provide a picture of the Plastron (bottom shell of the tort) making sure that it is as clear as possible and also bright.....

Could be a problem OR could simply be normal growth....so pics will be helpful....

He still cries though

Do you mean audible or tearing eyes?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
IMG_0035_09-10-2012.JPG

Here is a picture of the Plastron. If you cannot view it because it's too large, please give me your email so that I can send it that way. By the way, Beasty Boy's cries are audible. It sounds like an old fashioned doll's cry. Thanks.

Sylvia

quote='ascott' pid='523156' dateline='1346912358']
Please provide a picture of the Plastron (bottom shell of the tort) making sure that it is as clear as possible and also bright.....

Could be a problem OR could simply be normal growth....so pics will be helpful....

He still cries though

Do you mean audible or tearing eyes?

[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I am so sorry!! That must be heart breaking to hear your poor baby. I hope that your baby gets better soon. Someone else will give advice, I can only offer sympathy. :( I will pray for you and your baby to get better soon.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks for the advice. I've done all the soaks, mineral oil, and watched Beasty Boy slowly recover. I am so glad to say that as of today, he is rock free (meaning he pooped it all out) and he is urinating normally now. I don't hear his cries when straining to go anymore. I love all you guys and thanks for sticking with me on this. I have been reading and studying all the different habits and conditions to look out for. I figure in a few years, I'd be an expert on these guys. Here is a picture of my babies. Sibi

emysemys said:
Welcome, Sylvia!

So now you know that you need to be sure the tortoises area is pebble/rock free, huh?

Besides getting the mineral down his throat, you can also squirt a bit up into the cloaca (the hole in the tail) with an eye dropper. Don't use any other type of oil. Mineral oil is non-absorbtive, meaning, it will just coat all the "stuff" inside the tortoise and not be absorbed or digested. This will help the stones to slide out.

Good luck, and please keep us informed.

Attachments

• IMG_0028_09-02-2012.JPG
    IMG_0028_09-02-2012.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 35

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
They are beautiful. A lot of lessons can be learned from this story. I am glad that the advice of others has helped Beasty Boy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.