sick baby!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've been following this thread because my little Russian also has swollen eyes and is off of his food.
Just an FYI about carrot baby food. If the baby food soaks are intended to provide vitamin A, you'd better check the nutritional labels before buying. I went to buy carrot baby food today and found that every brand had ZERO Vitamin A.

If you want high vitamin A baby food, check the nutrition labels first. I ended up buying an organic blend of sweet potato, blueberry and apple. It has 150% of the RDA for Vitamin A per serving. There was another high vitamin A blend but it contained yogurt so I avoided it. Another option would be to buy fresh carrots and puree them.

I think that your russian might have a bulb issue. What light are you using for UV?

Luckily I do not think this is related to the incredibly contagious bacterial infection seen on sulcatas recently

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been following this thread because my little Russian also has swollen eyes and is off of his food.
Just an FYI about carrot baby food. If the baby food soaks are intended to provide vitamin A, you'd better check the nutritional labels before buying. I went to buy carrot baby food today and found that every brand had ZERO Vitamin A.

If you want high vitamin A baby food, check the nutrition labels first. I ended up buying an organic blend of sweet potato, blueberry and apple. It has 150% of the RDA for Vitamin A per serving. There was another high vitamin A blend but it contained yogurt so I avoided it. Another option would be to buy fresh carrots and puree them.
This issue is completely different than whatever your issue is. Not even in the same ballpark.

Fruit should never be fed to Russian tortoises. They should never be soaked in it either.

Vintage

Toronto
This issue is completely different than whatever your issue is. Not even in the same ballpark.

Fruit should never be fed to Russian tortoises. They should never be soaked in it either.

My post was strictly intended to draw attention to the fact that just because it's carrot baby food doesn't mean it contains vitamin A. Hence "Just an FYI about carrot baby food". I didn't say "just an FYI about how to feed Russian tortoises".

I did not advise anyone to feed Russians with fruit nor soak them in it. There was very little fruit in the blend I used, it was mostly sweet potato and carrot. I am well aware that Russians aren't supposed to be fed fruit. If I had been able to find a fruit free blend with vitamin A I'd have chosen that instead.

And I never said my tortoise's issue was the same issue as the OP, only that the symptoms (swollen eyes) were similar and that's why I was following this thread. Try and read posts more carefully before going on the attack.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I just spent the last 4 weeks soaking 3 box turtles with closed swollen eyes and who were not eating. I upped the temperature in their environment, and soaked them twice a day in very warm water and Gerber strained carrots; and yes, I do it for the Vitamin A which in Gerber is 40%. All 3 have open eyes and 2 are eating. So if MY Russian tortoise had swollen eyes, I'd be for sure soaking him in GERBER strained carrots, what do ya have to lose?