Carrot bath - twice a day?

Arizonatortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Hello,

We have a sick Russian tortoise. She’s on antibiotics for an upper respiratory tract infection. She’s really not doing well and we are trying all that we can. Her eyes are closed and she’s not eating.

I’ve read about the carrot soaks. Can I soak her 30 minutes twice a day? Is there a point when it’s too much?

Thank you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
50/50 water and carrot juice and twice a day soaks for 30 minutes will help. What antibiotics is she on?

Sa Ga

MN
Sending love and lotsa healing her way!!!

Keep her warm, night and day, and if she's still not eating, you can consider going to a reptile vet to get tube feeding mix that you can either tube feed to her (they will need to show you how so you don't hurt her mouth/throat/head and don't accidentally make her get it into her lungs) or use a syringe if she'll readily accept it from you. (Don't ever force food--she could aspirate and then get worse infection). For now, make sure she stays hydrated!

Arizonatortoises

Tucson
Sending love and lotsa healing her way!!!

Keep her warm, night and day, and if she's still not eating, you can consider going to a reptile vet to get tube feeding mix that you can either tube feed to her (they will need to show you how so you don't hurt her mouth/throat/head and don't accidentally make her get it into her lungs) or use a syringe if she'll readily accept it from you. (Don't ever force food--she could aspirate and then get worse infection). For now, make sure she stays hydrated!
Thanks for the healing thoughts!

She has had one tube feed already. Another scheduled tomorrow. Thanks for the idea to keep her warm over night. We were told to have the heat lamp on 12 hours a day, but I've been wondering about keeping it on through the night, just slightly farther away so that it's a bit cooler at night? 95 during the day and 85 at night?