Sick horse field

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Thankyou, set up is per the care sheet as it’s what I went off when I got her, we grow dandelions for the bearded dragon so put them in daily for her but she’s just not interested, she’s not eaten in over 3 weeks and other than 2-3 gulps of her bathing mix today she’s not drank in 16 days just soaks, I soaked her this afternoon but nothing at all just laid there head out a bit and no movement. I feel so bad for her as I can only imagine how she feels
OK

Newtortmummy

Wales uk
Day 19 of twice daily CCF and carrot soaks still nothing she is only responsive still if I touch a limb but nothing other than that. Twos still on a constant 85 degrees away from the basking spot but she won’t have light on her it’s the only time I see her move so I’m using the CHE day and night with uvb on her but not the best as the best I can get her under is the outer parameter of the light.

Lpye

Liverpool
Hi sorry to hear your little tort is sick, I have a Russian tortoise and this happened to him last year we did everything you have done. We took him to a reptile vet we had to Google one which was about 10 miles away! Anyway it turned out to be pneumonia and was given antibiotic injections twice a week it took him about a month to recover. So unfortunately you need to take your little one to a reptile vet. Am in the UK also. Hope this helps.

Newtortmummy

Wales uk
Hi sorry to hear your little tort is sick, I have a Russian tortoise and this happened to him last year we did everything you have done. We took him to a reptile vet we had to Google one which was about 10 miles away! Anyway it turned out to be pneumonia and was given antibiotic injections twice a week it took him about a month to recover. So unfortunately you need to take your little one to a reptile vet. Am in the UK also. Hope this helps.
Hi unfortunately my nearest reptile vet is 3.11hrs away as I live in the middle of nowhere literally, she’s been to the local vet but unfortunately all they say is aestivation which it obviously isn’t but they just used Google I’m going back this week and I’m going to ask them to ring the reptile vets for advice as all they do is inject her with vitamins etc. I just keep carrying on every day until something happens there’s small improvements she had a bite of kale today but her eyes are still white but I’m scared I’m being cruel to her. And hello fellow uk person Thankyou for your kind response.

Lpye

Liverpool
Hi unfortunately my nearest reptile vet is 3.11hrs away as I live in the middle of nowhere literally, she’s been to the local vet but unfortunately all they say is aestivation which it obviously isn’t but they just used Google I’m going back this week and I’m going to ask them to ring the reptile vets for advice as all they do is inject her with vitamins etc. I just keep carrying on every day until something happens there’s small improvements she had a bite of kale today but her eyes are still white but I’m scared I’m being cruel to her. And hello fellow uk person Thankyou for your kind response.
Aw hopefully they can help you
Aw hopefully your vet can help good luck keep us posted 🤞

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Maybe the light is causing issues with the eyes. Try 24 hours no light heat only and put in fresh food and water and observe.

Newtortmummy

Wales uk
Just a quick update
Day 42 of twice daily carrot and CCF soaks and she’s no better her eyes opened that day a tiny bit but nothing since, she’s still on not well I’m offerings fresh picked food and all she’s doing is sleeping. I spoke to the vet when we returned and have been advised they’ve not a clue and other than tubing her which they learnt when studying years ago there’s nothing more they know , ive asked if it came to a point would they euthanise and they said no as they can’t tell if she needs it , some may think I’m bad for considering euthanasia but if she’s suffering then I’d rather she was over in tort heaven than here where she’s suffering.

Lpye

Liverpool
Just a quick update
Day 42 of twice daily carrot and CCF soaks and she’s no better her eyes opened that day a tiny bit but nothing since, she’s still on not well I’m offerings fresh picked food and all she’s doing is sleeping. I spoke to the vet when we returned and have been advised they’ve not a clue and other than tubing her which they learnt when studying years ago there’s nothing more they know , ive asked if it came to a point would they euthanise and they said no as they can’t tell if she needs it , some may think I’m bad for considering euthanasia but if she’s suffering then I’d rather she was over in tort heaven than here where she’s suffering.
Hi sorry you tortoise is still unwell am not sure where in the UK you are but I have a number to a reptile vet in st Helens Merseyside give them a call and see if they can talk to your local vet on what they can do. It's called Rutland house 0174485320 hope this helps. 🤞

Newtortmummy

Wales uk
Hi sorry you tortoise is still unwell am not sure where in the UK you are but I have a number to a reptile vet in st Helens Merseyside give them a call and see if they can talk to your local vet on what they can do. It's called Rutland house 0174485320 hope this helps. 🤞
Thankyou I shall give them a call I’m willing to try anything

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes got thermostat running and set to 85.

Hi Lyn She’s on critical care formula and the vet just states aestivation after they googled it, unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and the vets here are aimed more towards cattle than reptiles, at the moment she’s at 85 degrees over night although when she was in her normal tort table I’d gone by all temperatures set out in the care sheet. As for tort food we feed her on weeds etc set out in the care sheet, we’ve a 3 tier garden so 1 level is all for tort no weeds are picked until she needs them and we’ve even planted some shelled warriors seeds that have been doing really well. Her favourite go to is dandelions and clover, all food is calcium dusted and she has a bath twice a week.
Hello. I couldn't stop thinking about this post because you said that all her food is calcium dusted

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I couldn't stop thinking about this post because you said that all her food is calcium dusted
But really that would be too much. You only want to do that two or three times a week lightly as a supplement. Especially since you feed her weeds and good food and everything else is good care. I'll be hoping and praying for your little one 🤗

zolasmum

5 Year Member
But really that would be too much. You only want to do that two or three times a week lightly as a supplement. Especially since you feed her weeds and good food and everything else is good care. I'll be hoping and praying for your little one 🤗
I had been thinking overnight about the calcium supplement too - many tortoises seem very reluctant to touch it. How about stopping using it at all for several weeks, and see if she responds better. Then you could go back to a small pinch twice a week, as Cathy said ?
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I had been thinking overnight about the calcium supplement too - many tortoises seem very reluctant to touch it. How about stopping using it at all for several weeks, and see if she responds better. Then you could go back to a small pinch twice a week, as Cathy said ?
Angie
Yes that's an even better idea than what I thought.🤗

Newtortmummy

Wales uk
She’s not eaten at all other than 1 nibble of a weed the other week she’s not eaten in nearly 2 months. Her food was dusted in line with the care sheet it’s my bible haha. Thankyou for the advice it is appreciated. She’s now not really moving and eyes are sunken. I’m now thinking euthanasia is the best I can do for her I wouldn’t let any animal suffer and I’ve other reptiles and animals here ( that aren’t around her) and they are all happy healthy and well cared for x

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She’s not eaten at all other than 1 nibble of a weed the other week she’s not eaten in nearly 2 months. Her food was dusted in line with the care sheet it’s my bible haha. Thankyou for the advice it is appreciated. She’s now not really moving and eyes are sunken. I’m now thinking euthanasia is the best I can do for her I wouldn’t let any animal suffer and I’ve other reptiles and animals here ( that aren’t around her) and they are all happy healthy and well cared for x
I'm so sorry. I hope she makes it.😘

Lpye

Liverpool
Did you call Rutland house?

goldenbuddha777

Wales, UK
My tortoise was in a similar situation but did a complete 180 when I changed his substrate, it was almost as if he was allergic to the one he was on. No guarantees but no harm in trying, best wishes.