Sick baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Well, we have been busy today. Here's a few pics of the fresh, Modified enclosure. We tossed all the old coir, found some mold! We got all new, and put in 3 bricks instead of the 9 that were in there. We also going to not wet the coir from the top. Instead we put 1 inch of water in the false bottom to keep humidity up but try to keep the top of the coir mold free. We soak her daily so the dryer top layer should be ok, i hope! Also with only 3 bricks we can change it out every 2 weeks. I put a little more wattage bulbs in to raise the temps to 85 deg. Min. I also added more pipe supports to the bottom because it was sagging. As for Shelby, she has been doing great all day. Thanks to everyone for all the help and we will keep it updated for a while.
9131d7d8.jpg

8092c030.jpg

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Could be stress, you could put a solid border around the glass so it doesn't feel so exposed.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Pics added, I forgot :) also as a plan, if anything gets worse or even if I stop seeing progress I'll go for the meds and use the paper towel for a temporary bedding. Thanks again

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
i agree with the border around the bottom of the glass, torts and glass don't get along well in the end. also, for humidity you could always use damp live/sphagnum moss on top of the dry substrate.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Here is what it looks like up and running, any suggestions of what to use and what to stick it on with? It's very wet in there and it would have to be water tight behind it so, it doesn't get funky behind it. Thanks
5cfddadf.jpg

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Christine:

We usually use paper towels or newspaper in hospital tanks as a temporary measure while we are treating a sick turtle/tortoise. So your vet isn't out of line in that request.

I think you should remove your baby to a smaller hospital tank with paper towels on the floor, raise the temperature to overall about 85 degrees and cut back on the moisture/humidity until he gets well. Antibiotics would be nice, but I normally don't go to the Baytril until the last resort. If the baby is eating and the bubbles/discharge is clear, you can hold off a bit on the antibiotics.

I agree with yvonne on this one..it could be the coco what ever its called is irritating her...

Not for nothing..but he did graduate vet school..and you did pay for his advice..might as well follow his instructions...

Antibiotic are tough on a tort..

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.