Sick boxer(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
So about 3 days ago my large male boxer emerged....crazy warm weather.....followed by typical cold days and he is SICK!! Mucus and bubbles!! I took him in and warmed him up and he is responding a expected to warm baths and Oxytetracycline soaks.

QUESTION:
Do u unearth and bring in the others in his enclosure and treat for sickness or leave them alone?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
I would. If they all had been together before going to brumate then they were all exposed to the same things. Its a tough decision to choose between waking them up and the stress of that vs not waking and having them possibly sick... sorry you are in such a tough spot. Whatever you choose make sure they stay warm when they wake and try to get them hydrated and eating as quickly as possible.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
brought them in and my first impression is that they are ok....just ok
some sniffing but not bad and they are fat and heavy.
all soaked and tucked in for the night.....hopefully all is well.

the male is doing better tonight but still has bubbles, is thin and is refusing to eat. :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
It your male isn't at a good weight, and the others are, he might have been sick before hibernation. If you are in the North, and have cold Winters, and you dug them up, you shouldn't heat them up right away. It should be done gradually.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
He continues to get his soaks and continues to improve.

I brought those girls up and put them in a soak and in a tote on the floor of the tortoise room With damp sphagnum Moss. They seemed happy last night and this morning I was clear but they are burying themselves under the moss.

TerryO.... If I did warm them too much too quickly what should I be looking for besides cold symptoms? I sure hope I didn't Harm them! I did wait to soak them until they were crawling around after I brought them in the warm room!? How slow is "slow"?

Status
Not open for further replies.