Sick boxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
So I'm visiting my sister for a few days and she has several box turtles. One of them is not doing very well. She got her in April and this turtle has been sick from the start. She has had eye infections and has not eaten in weeks. We have her in her in a baby food soak right now buy I'm not sure what else do do for her. Any suggestions are welcome.

It's not attaching the photos

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I'd separate her into a hospital tank to start with. If she's been sick since April has she been to the vet? Have she been treated with anything? What are her symptoms other than eye infections?

If you could attach pictures (maybe a look at the help topics to upload pics would be a benefit) that would be very helpful. Additionally a run-down of temps, substraight, diet, UVA/UVB exposure would help a lot.

I'd also suggest getting her to a reptile vet ASAP. If she's been sick for this long she'll need vet.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will post soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try adding some unflavored pedialyte to the soak water. I would also say a vet visit is due.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Ordinate box turtle. She is separated from everyone else. My sister lives in New Mexico and the turtles live outside all summer. She has taken her to a vet who gave her eye ointment but that's it. There are no reptile vets anywhere near her. She perked up a bit after her bath but still looks pretty bad. I can't seem to upload any pictures yet so when I get back to California today I will update. I can tell you they are not kept in the best environment. It's very dry there and other then a small bowl they don't have any water access. I did my best to educate my sister about how they should be looked after but I think it fell on deaf ears. I added a heat lamp to the enclosure but had no way of checkin the temps, it was very frustrating! Hopefully she will keep up on the baths, I just felt so bad seeing any animal that sick.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Well after 3 days of the carrot soak, she opened her eyes finally. The first time shes opened them in months. She also seems to have a bit more energy. My sister is keeping up with the soaks and heating her correctly and I'm hopeful this turtle will be ok. Attached are pictures from the day I first posted. Not the best picture but you can see the eyes were swollen shut.

2013 008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.