Sick Morty :((

aprilbodnar

Okay so my Morty has a soft shell is inactive, barely eating and doesn't open his eyes this has been going on for a week now and he has had two baby food baths (carrot ones). Personal info about Morty is I got him from a breeder and he was very healthy as you guys saw from my earlier posts I be had him for about 2 months now. He was first in a wooden enclosure open table and I couldn't keep his humidity up so we put poly around it to help it only got up to about 40 so I changed it to a semi closed enclosure in a big plastic tub with te lid half on so the light can shine in and heat I spray it as often as I can and dump water in it aswell he was on the spring mix and Timothy hay mixed with his multi vitamins and calcium alternating each day. His temps are between 80-95 degrees aswell he has a cuttle bone but does not eat it used to love sitting on rocks. Every time I bathe him I would put some of his rocks in and he would love it so I knew that he enjoyed them. But now he just sits and sleeps out in the open. Normally he would sleep in his hide.. Here are a few pictures I have one lamp and I alternate the night bulb and heat/uv lighting bulb. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399270448.015999.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399270459.697821.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399270474.714548.jpg

aprilbodnar

Sorry I also recently changed to romaine because I read it was better for him rather than spring mix

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Romain is not better than spring mix, you just don't want spring mix with a lot of spinach in it. Is he still eating and pooping? Does he have a runny nose? Have you been tracking his weight?

aprilbodnar

He eats a little bit but used to eat a lot more and no I have not tracked his weight but by the looks of pictures he has gained weight since I got him

EcoDVM

Maryland
How old is your UV bulb, and do you know if it still has good output. They can loose UV output in 3 months, but still look bright. Do you know the brand/type? I agree about the spring mix with low amounts of spinach as being better than romaine (almost no nutrition). Also, what brands of supplements do you use? Some of them are much less effective than others.

aprilbodnar

I bought it brand new when I first got Morty 2 months ago and I use repeal multi vitamins and vit d and calcium

EcoDVM

Maryland
If that is Repcal, it should be ok (Reptical is not as good unless they have changed recently). The Herpvite supplement has not been as highly recommended but may help. Be careful in how much supplement you use, as over-supplementing may be just as bad as none at all. I would be worried that there should be I still need to know what UV light you are using as a soft shell makes me concerned calcium is not being placed into the bones well. It would be strange to see it happen that fast if the breeder was using a good diet though. How old was the tortoise when you bought it, and are you sure it is a male? The humidity needs to be higher as well ( should get up around 70%). It would be great if you could provide some more detail about some of this and talk with a vet in your area 1 on 1. Sometimes intestinal parasites or infections can pop up after the stress of moving to a new location.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The baby food soaks won't help a soft shell at all. The only thing that will help that is calcium and sunshine.