Sift through hay before feeding

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
If one was to fret about all of the things that could possibly be in their hay they should probably worry most about the chemicals that are intentionally applied to it. Our hay supplier told us to assume that most/all hay has been treated with herbicides. The amounts vary depending on the cut of the hay, the crop grown and how much money the farmer is willing to spend.
I believe these herbicides stick around long enough to pass through a cow and have the manure it creates contain enough chemical to kill the plants it is applied to.
Exactly !
These days just about every town has a Swap Meet, Flea Market or Auction close by. Usually once or twice a week they will have a large sale with everything you can imagine. This is a GREAT place to unload Agricultural Goods deemed "Unsafe" by FDA inspections, ESPECIALLY HAY. My direct neighbor property has been burning trash, tires for years. A friend of our daughters father is a Captain of the local Fire Department. While speaking with him at a High School game he told me the story of my neighbor. Before I lived here they would burn so often that passers by on the highway would see smoke and call 911 and report a fire. The Fire Departments hands were tied on getting him to stop burning BUT, because of the obvious trash in the piles and surrounding ground the county stripped their "Organic" certificates. This property grows everything from Melons, Vegetables, Hay, Nut & Fruit Trees and sells them all over the California Coastal cities at Farmers Markets for top dollar.

Shellion Mama

South Texas
Oh, yuck! I NEVER buy those packages of hay sold in pet stores or online. Always buy from a feed store, fresh bales, NOT packaged! Those packages of hay are OLD, TOUGH, and HARD for a tortoise to eat.
I don’t know what’s been sprayed on that stuff is the reason I don’t buy it.
I still soak their hay for extra hydration and I found one brand that has hardly any stems.
I don’t use much hay as it is I also have potted grass & just planted more.

Shellion Mama

South Texas
If one was to fret about all of the things that could possibly be in their hay they should probably worry most about the chemicals that are intentionally applied to it. Our hay supplier told us to assume that most/all hay has been treated with herbicides. The amounts vary depending on the cut of the hay, the crop grown and how much money the farmer is willing to spend.
I believe these herbicides stick around long enough to pass through a cow and have the manure it creates contain enough chemical to kill the plants it is applied to.
That’s why I buy the bagged stuff, I read the label and contact them to make sure it wasn’t sprayed.
There also shouldn’t be any dangerous items in it.
Some brands say hand sifted right on the bag. I understand things can be overlooked.

Shellion Mama

South Texas
Exactly !
These days just about every town has a Swap Meet, Flea Market or Auction close by. Usually once or twice a week they will have a large sale with everything you can imagine. This is a GREAT place to unload Agricultural Goods deemed "Unsafe" by FDA inspections, ESPECIALLY HAY. My direct neighbor property has been burning trash, tires for years. A friend of our daughters father is a Captain of the local Fire Department. While speaking with him at a High School game he told me the story of my neighbor. Before I lived here they would burn so often that passers by on the highway would see smoke and call 911 and report a fire. The Fire Departments hands were tied on getting him to stop burning BUT, because of the obvious trash in the piles and surrounding ground the county stripped their "Organic" certificates. This property grows everything from Melons, Vegetables, Hay, Nut & Fruit Trees and sells them all over the California Coastal cities at Farmers Markets for top dollar.
I don’t ever buy any food products for my family or my pets from flea markets, good info though.
All of this comes at the right time of year as a reminder to be as self sufficient as possible.
I expand my garden every year and this year it’ll be even bigger than previously planned.