Size Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

vholde346

5 Year Member
In March, my partner and I adopted two Leopard tortoises from this woman. She told us that they were both 5 months old, however they were very small and it didn't seem like she knew what she was going on about. (She gave us a reflector light and a normal light, which had no UVB in it). However, they were very active and friendly. Straight away they would run up to you and let them rub their chin or head.

Anyway, I have noticed that one of the tortoises is growing quicker than the other. In one week, the one I am worried about only put on one pound, however the other tortoise put on five. He has also recently developed growth lines, and the other hasn't.

Is this something I should be worried about or is it just a case of one being a faster grower?

Attachments

• 03 08 12_1382.JPG
    03 08 12_1382.JPG
    650.4 KB · Views: 86

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Without a size reference, it is hard to say for sure, but the age sounds right. the one on the left looks like it is pyramiding, the high bumpy shell. I would suspect bullying is going on during feeding time.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Did you mean grams? I don't think there's anyone those tortoises in the picture could weigh a pound.

Try separating them during feeding. Often when there's multiple tortoises some tortoises might feel apprehensive and as a result they will not eat until they are full.

The good news is that they are both gaining weight. Rates will vary based on a wide range of factors so I don't see anything alarming here.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I would say to separate the two until the lighter tortoise starts growing at a steady pace. They will definitely need a lot of sunshine. The left one's shell doesn't look too good.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
They all grow at different rates. My two year olds range from 1 1/2 pounds to 6 1/2 pounds. They're all together.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great advice already given. Keep in mind, that they may have to be separated, always, maybe. Also, they need some humidity. The ones shell is getting pretty bumpy and thats not normal. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. If you raise them as it says in the threads, you can get those shells to start growing smooth new growth.

vholde346

5 Year Member
When we adopted them, his shell was already like that, in fact worse. It is getting a lot better though. But thank you for the advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.