Size difference

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Hello! My name is Kelly and I'm completely new to all this, I have a 4 yr old redfoot that I adopted and I'm trying to make her a new habitat. I got her with an aquarium and reading these posts I realize that's not what these tortoises need. So I will be posting pics of her new home. I ordered a fogger and can't wait to set up her new home, for now I keep misting her and soaking her twice a week. One of my questions is I'd like to get her a friend eventually and can u have a size difference? She's 7" long and from what I can guess from reading these forums she's female. I found a 3" baby redfoot that I've thought about adopting as well but I dunno of the size difference is too great? I working on her habitat this week and I'm so excited to get it set up :) here's a pic of her soaking :) thanks for any help :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1388207132.871662.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388207665.204030.jpg here's a pic of her eating :) she's a great eater

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
From what I've read, you probably should have them be within an inch or two. You mostly don't want the little one to get trampled or bullied. Also, many people on the forums believe the dynamics of pairs don't work out too well. Not to be an enabler or anything, but if you have the space, add two or three more. Otherwise, your tort should be completely happy having your sole attention.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for your reply,I didn't know that they didn't do well in pairs so thank you. I thought she'd get lonely.... So they don't need a companion? Hmm 2-3 more sounds awesome!! Lol

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
From my understanding, tortoises are solitary. In the wild, they come across others occasionally to mate, but that's about it. Redfoots, however, have been found in group situations. So, they can tolerate, if not, end up healthier in a small group (just from what I've read on the forum). Your little one won't be lonely.. more like mega spoiled. I have 4 reds and they're pretty awesome. It's up to you if you want more. But you'll need the space, the time, and a quarantine period when introducing new torts.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I live in ohio, so 3/4 of the year they will be inside. I bought a large animal trough and am turning it into a habitat for her. I dunno if it'd be big enough for 3-4 but maybe in the future, I eventually wNt to make huge room sized habitat for her.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I have two of a similar size to yours-slightly less difference- and they are fine. It depends on the dynamics of your group and the characteristics of the tortoises.