Slate tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeEssFore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville MI
Im making my enclosure and over the wood id like the put slate tile on the walls inside. Is this a no go or fine to use? I use it in all my gecko tanks and love how it looks

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'd actually planned on doing the same, but once I'd brought home the slate and opened the packages I was very dissapointed. Only the visible top tile was interesting looking, the rest underneath were of one color and little texture, so I'd felt somewhat ripped off and took them back.

Personally I was planning on using an epoxy grout as I didn't like the idea of having to clean and seal grout lines in an enclosure. How did you deal with that in your gecko tanks?

GeeEssFore

5 Year Member
Roseville MI
In the gecko tanks for grout I use soil mixed with sand and GE G2 silicone. That way it wont harm them. I buy the in singles so I always get the colors i like.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sounds like a great idea. Instead of grout or glue I would probably just use silicone myself.

I know several people that have done this in Bearded Dragon and Uromastyx enclosures, because it holds the heat so well.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
You can use silicone to attach the tiles to the walls, but I would use normal grout for the cracks. They sell non-toxic, water-based grout sealer at most normal home improvement stores and it is comparably priced to the normal stuff. I used the grout sealant on my bathroom floor and it has worked perfectly under less than ideal conditions (2 year old that likes to splash overly much in the tub).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh no! Slate is great for the nails and beak in fact. I always use slate both as a basking spot and to feed on.

Trust me, rocks aren't any softer in the wild :D :D :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I got some 12" square ones at Home Depot. I had 4 of them put together as a basking area for my Sulcatas. They were only like $2 each I think. Some of the hay is kicked over them, but they are in the top right hand corner.

kris024.jpg

Found a better one

kris001.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a basking site on part of the floor, I think they are great. I would not use them on the walls of a "relatively" small indoor enclosure. I think they are too abrasive and over time they will rub away too much scute material from the sides of your torts. Outdoors, in a large enclosure they don't tend to rub up against the walls much, but indoors they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.