Sleep & Bedding...

Britni

Hi everyone! I'm new to the tortoise forums and also a pround owner of a 5 month old sulcata, Flynn! I've done my research and pretty much have the hang of taking care of the little guy, but had a couple questions. Firstly, I've noticed he's been sleeping a little bit more than when I first got him. The first weeks, he had to be out and about all the time, walking everywhere, and the past couple weeks all he's been doing is sleeping and I pretty much have to pull him out of his cave to eat or soak. Should I be concerned or is this normal for babies? Nothing has changed since the first weeks, same food, same enclosure, same lamp. Also while I'm here, can someone tell me what's the best bedding to use for and indoor enclosure? I've seen multiple ideas, and I've been using pellet-type bedding out of recommendation from a fellow sulcata owner. But with this bedding, whenever Flynn walks in and out of his water dish, the bedding gets wet, expands, and gets mushy, which is a pain to clean up and also starts to smell awful. Any sort of brand of bedding you guys recommend or should I stick to pellets? Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I would recommend coconut coir. It holds moisture well, doesn't usually mold, and will pass through if they eat any of it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What type of bulb are you using? If it is a compact fluorescent bulb then it may be hurting his eyes. Also, what are the temperatures? Are there plenty of hides and site barriers to make him feel more comfortable? A picture of the tortoise and the enclosure would be great. We love pictures around here and it can help people make more specific suggestions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Britni. The problem with "research" is that most of the info out there in the world for this species is wrong. It was written 30 years ago and based on incorrect assumptions about where they come from. It was wrong then and its wrong now.

Please read these for the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Just to hit a few important high points that need immediate attention:
1. Pellet substrate is very dry. This is bad and contributes to dehydration and kidney damage. They need a humid environment and it needs to be kept warm 24/7, just like where they come from in Africa during the rainy season when babies hatch.
2. You should be soaking this baby every day. Have you been?
3. You said "bulb" above. As in singular. What are you using for night heat? What sort of bulb are you using now?

To answer the question of whether or not you should be concerned we would need to know what sort of start in life your tortoise had. Where did you get it and what type of care did it receive in its first few days and weeks at the breeders place. Was it kept on dry pellets? Soaked only once a week? Fed romaine lettuce? Or was it raised with humidity, daily soaks and a varied diet?

Britni

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the information (and thanks to other posters) I will most definitely read your links. I got my sulcata from a seller in the area, who raised on pellets, daily soaks, and he didn't get too into the diet other than recommending a brand of tortoise food to soak and feed while leaning towards grasses, veggies, etc. I lost his number which is why I'm here.
I soak him everyday for about 15-20 minutes, and soak his logs for an enclousure 80-90, never below 75 at night, with a 65 watt incandescent bulb/heating lamp for basking, & he loves walking around outside. I apologize if I sound naive, but that's why I'm here, to get the best possible advice. (Also I'm unable to get a picture of the enclousure at this time, but will most likely post one soon)

Last edited: