Bedding

jacob woods

i am a turtle man I've owned water turtles my whole life and I recently acquired a sulcata tortoise... I need advice on what kind of bedding to give him... Because he will poop all over his cage and it will get all over the bottom of his shell and I need advice on what kind of bedding to use to prevent the little guy from being covered in his own droppings all the time (yes I change his current bedding daily)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
How big is the sulcata. When they get to be bigger than your hand, you can set them up outside. Makes it much easier to care for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Read the care sheet at the top of the sulcata page. You should be soaking daily and they poop in the soak water, so the substrate stays clean.

Fine grade orchid bark works best.

All of this is explained in the care sheet.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your turtle.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hello and welcome.

Read the care sheet at the top of the sulcata page. You should be soaking daily and they poop in the soak water, so the substrate stays clean.

Fine grade orchid bark works best.

All of this is explained in the care sheet.

Mine never poops during a soak. Pees sometimes, but no poop. He usually soaks for half an hour and then poops afterward either back in his cage or water dish or out exploring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine never poops during a soak. Pees sometimes, but no poop. He usually soaks for half an hour and then poops afterward either back in his cage or water dish or out exploring.

Go tell your tortoise he's an abnormal weirdo.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Go tell your tortoise he's an abnormal weirdo.

I am figuring that out. Especially as she flips herself over using the walls inside her hide and eats cameras! I also soak her on a futon and when she climbs out, she has to climb onto the laptop keyboard and run around, always heads right for hit. I think she might be trying to read my posts.

You put her back in her cage after a soak and she poops in the fresh water dish. Annoying.