What type of bedding can i use for baby (4 months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
What type of bedding can i use for my little guy? i have a table setup and there is a heated covered bedding area. i have used coco for his main substrate what can i put in the bedding bit that is safe and will keep it warm?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a leopard, similar care, I only used coconut coir. You can though also use cypress mulch or spaghnum moss. Also, if you haven't read Toms threads on raising a smooth, healthy sully, check them out. The post below in my post are all Toms and all great reads.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have a leopard, similar care, I only used coconut coir. You can though also use cypress mulch or spaghnum moss. Also, if you haven't read Toms threads on raising a smooth, healthy sully, check them out. The post below in my post are all Toms and all great reads.

already read all of toms threads ;) .. so not any hay of any type? i could make it a moist hide i guess with spagnum moss! i just hope he don't try to eat it ahah!

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
I have used a substrate called Eco Earth since I first brought my little one home and its great. You can buy it from Petsmart or Petco and I'm sure other pet stores as well. It has worked really well for me and is great with keeping the humidity up the in enclosure, which is SUPER important at such a young age! :)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I also use Eco earth. A 3 pack of the bricks is $7.99 at PetSmart and expands to enough to cover my big enclosure plus some.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
I also use Eco earth. A 3 pack of the bricks is $7.99 at PetSmart and expands to enough to cover my big enclosure plus some.

That is very very true! This stuff is deceiving. It doesn't look like your going to get much from the 3 bricks, but it expands A LOT! Cheap, easy, and works well! :)

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Love4tortoises said:
I have used a substrate called Eco Earth since I first brought my little one home and its great. You can buy it from Petsmart or Petco and I'm sure other pet stores as well. It has worked really well for me and is great with keeping the humidity up the in enclosure, which is SUPER important at such a young age! :)

That is coconut coir, is it not?

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
MikeCow1 said:
Love4tortoises said:

That is coconut coir, is it not?

I'm sure it is the same thing. It is a coconut fiber substrate and is made from the husks of coconuts, so it sounds to me, like the same thing. :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: What type of bedding can i use for baby (4 months)

Kyloh said:
already read all of toms threads ;) .. so not any hay of any type?

Toms threads are about raising them hot and humid.

Using hay for bedding in that environment would cause mold to grow and be bad for your tortoises health.

If you go humid (you should) then no hay.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

dk1234

5 Year Member
When I first started out raising my tortoise and before I knew about this forum, I started off my tortoise on timothy hay. He really did not grow at all, so I got rid of all of it and switched him to coco coir and although it took some getting used to on his part, he has really taken to it and now is growing very well. Coco coir is much messier than hay and it'll get in the water and stuff, so I was hesitant to make the switch, but after seeing my tortoise grow so well, it's well worth it.

I tried to do like a half hay half coco coir type setup but the hay just got damp and moldy. It was no good.

I also didn't want to waste the massive bag of hay I bought, but I cut up the non-stick-like pieces and put it with his cut up fresh grass and I'd like to think he gets extra nutrition from eating some of the hay on accident with his fresh grass. I still have a ton of hay left, but it's not a complete waste.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Kyloh said:
already read all of toms threads ;) .. so not any hay of any type?

Toms threads are about raising them hot and humid.

Using hay for bedding in that environment would cause mold to grow and be bad for your tortoises health.

If you go humid (you should) then no hay.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

I did think about that afterwards. its all good i use ECO Earth which is coco choir as far as i can tell! ive used it with some of my other reptiles to keep humidity up too!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Check Grow Stores, some of them carry giant bricks of coco fiber. One near my house sells them for 15 bucks, and they are easily the size of 8-10 bricks of the eco earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.