Sleeping habits and inclosure

kitty_imperial

Location (City and/or State)
Los angeles
Hi, im new to this forum and I’d like to maybe learn more about my sulcata baby. Ive had him for 8 months now. Hes very active and all. But he sleeps very weird. I did read it was normal but never be too sure. I love my little guy😅 recently hes been going in his little rock cave thing i have for him. He wanders out ever so often and goes into another area should i be worried. Like him being inside does he get enough UV rays? Should i remove his little cave thingy(he spends a lot of the time of the day in there sleeping) he usually comes out to eat or wait for me to look at him to give him shell scratches and pats on the head. He also loves to by the looks of it dig in there. But i dont want it to harm him.

Attachments

• 2A8AAC5E-0E2C-488C-89A4-6B8E7A7264A1.jpeg
    2A8AAC5E-0E2C-488C-89A4-6B8E7A7264A1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • BEAAADF3-104F-4894-860C-85B8145B0020.jpeg
    BEAAADF3-104F-4894-860C-85B8145B0020.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 9B51425F-3828-4E3D-93CE-210C589E2B88.jpeg
    9B51425F-3828-4E3D-93CE-210C589E2B88.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Welcome to the forum! :)

Young tortoises are fragile and spend a lot of their time hiding, so that’s completely normal. Tortoises often times sleep in odd positions, so the position which they sleep is normal too. As far as I’m aware, tortoises absorb UVB through their limbs rather than their shell (Or absorb a greater amount of UVB through their limbs than their shell). Given the images sent of your tortoise hiding with their legs and head poking out, I wouldn’t be too worried about the UVB they are getting whilst sleeping and hiding. I wouldn’t remove their hide as they find it to be a safe space and it could cause them some distress having it suddenly removed :)

They will become more confident as they age, I definitely wouldn’t worry about the UVB they are getting, so long as you are keeping the UVB on when it’s meant to be on.

kitty_imperial

Los angeles
Welcome to the forum! :)

Young tortoises are fragile and spend a lot of their time hiding, so that’s completely normal. Tortoises often times sleep in odd positions, so the position which they sleep is normal too. As far as I’m aware, tortoises absorb UVB through their limbs rather than their shell (Or absorb a greater amount of UVB through their limbs than their shell). Given the images sent of your tortoise hiding with their legs and head poking out, I wouldn’t be too worried about the UVB they are getting whilst sleeping and hiding. I wouldn’t remove their hide as they find it to be a safe space and it could cause them some distress having it suddenly removed :)

They will become more confident as they age, I definitely wouldn’t worry about the UVB they are getting, so long as you are keeping the UVB on when it’s meant to be on.
Thank you so much! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Make sure to keep the humidity up to about 80%otherwise your tortoise will start pyramiding

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, im new to this forum and I’d like to maybe learn more about my sulcata baby. Ive had him for 8 months now. Hes very active and all. But he sleeps very weird. I did read it was normal but never be too sure. I love my little guy😅 recently hes been going in his little rock cave thing i have for him. He wanders out ever so often and goes into another area should i be worried. Like him being inside does he get enough UV rays? Should i remove his little cave thingy(he spends a lot of the time of the day in there sleeping) he usually comes out to eat or wait for me to look at him to give him shell scratches and pats on the head. He also loves to by the looks of it dig in there. But i dont want it to harm him.
Most of the care info given for this species is all wrong. Open topped enclosures don't work. You need a closed chamber to simulate the warm humid monsoon conditions that this species hatch into in the wild.

Also, the clamps on those lamps always fail. Your lamps need to be hung from overhead. Remove those clamps and don't use them. People literally burn down their whole houses using those.

Here is the correct care info for you:

Questions are welcome.