Sleeping

Caz87 go

Location (City and/or State)
Newtown, Powys
Hi I've had my tortoise for a year now and in the last 6 weeks all he does is sleep and doesn't really eat a lot anymore he has no energy . He doesn't even want to get out his cage anymore his cage was full of fruit flys so I kept leaving his door open to get them out I'm really worried about him his cage is the right temp can anybody help plz

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and size tortoise?
What size cage?
What are you using for heating and lighting?
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really isn't helpful to us for someone to say, "...his cage is the right temp..." You might be incorrect in your thinking of what the right temperature is. We need you to measure the temperature all over the habitat and tell us what it is directly under the light, what it is at one end of the habitat and what it is at the other end of the habitat.

We need to know what kind of "cage" you have to the tortoise in.

We need to know what kind of light you are using.

We need to know what the substrate is.

We need to know if there is any hiding places.

A picture of the habitat would be helpful.

One of the things I really like about this Forum is being able to help people with their tortoises. But in order to be that detective, we need more clues.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've recently joined the forum as I have a tortoise and I too need help in dealing with it. But please take into consideration that these wonderful animals need light and....SUN. I very often taken my tort out for a "walk" (if so I may call it), in the sun and I feel it really enjoys it. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a very good point, Gillian. You'd be surprised what some real sunshine does for a turtle's well being.

Caz87 go

Newtown, Powys
Here is a pic of his cage I let him out in the summer but it's to cold for him now cos of respiratory illness just can't understAnd what has changed in those weeks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, there ya go, then. WAY TOO HOT for a Russian tortoise. Besides that, the viv is too small and the substrate is dry. He could also use some sight barriers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's been outside and now you've brought him back inside, that's one thing that's wrong with him. They really like being outside. And that's where they belong. So when you have to bring him inside, you need to put him into a habitat that reminds him of outside. You've brought him into a very artificial and dry habitat. Take a look through our enclosure section and see how others here have their russian tortoises set up.

Here's one example:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/

Caz87 go

Newtown, Powys
I looked at the links and they are so much better than mine so an open top cage is better than an enclosed I have a bigger cage coming in two weeks the pics with the plants in are great where would I get plants as I gather there real