SuperReggie64

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire
Hello
I got a Russian Tortoise the other day from someone who said they couldn't look after it anymore. This is my first tortoise and im worried that his health isn't okay as his beak looks uneven and his always trying to escape. I was also told he doesn't hibernate when 1 Google search said they did. I'm worried he hasn't been looked after properly. I let him play on my room floor and he just climbs the walls. I take him into my garden for at least an hour a day to walk around. He always has food and water and I'm certain the temperature in his table cage is good for basking however he won't stay in the cage without trying to climb out.

If anyone has advice please let me know.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-20200806-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200806-WA0001.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 24

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hello
I got a Russian Tortoise the other day from someone who said they couldn't look after it anymore. This is my first tortoise and im worried that his health isn't okay as his beak looks uneven and his always trying to escape. I was also told he doesn't hibernate when 1 Google search said they did. I'm worried he hasn't been looked after properly. I let him play on my room floor and he just climbs the walls. I take him into my garden for at least an hour a day to walk around. He always has food and water and I'm certain the temperature in his table cage is good for basking however he won't stay in the cage without trying to climb out.

If anyone has advice please let me know.
Thank you.
Hi and welcome to TFO! Russian tortoises can hibernate but they don’t have to. How big is his enclosure? He might be trying to escape because it is too small, he needs at least and 8ft by 4ft enclosure. Looks like he has an overgrown beak might need a trim. Read this care sheet carefully to make sure everything is correct.

SuperReggie64

Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to TFO! Russian tortoises can hibernate but they don’t have to. How big is his enclosure? He might be trying to escape because it is too small, he needs at least and 8ft by 4ft enclosure. Looks like he has an overgrown beak might need a trim. Read this care sheet carefully to make sure everything is correct.

Hello. Thank you for your advice. The enclosure is 3ft by 2ft. This is the one he came with. I'm aware it's small and was going to build him a outdoor enclosure for the day and then let him rest in that one at night. Does that sound like a good idea. Or should I work on getting a bigger indoor enclosure?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200807_103057.jpg
    20200807_103057.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9