Sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl.P

5 Year Member
I Have got two Leopards which seem to sleep lots they don't seem to be eating much either. They are two years old and about 5 & half inch long. When awake they are fine and active but they seem to sleep lots is this normal ??
Thanks
Carl

Attachments

• image-3033503092.png
    image-3033503092.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 39

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
What is your enclosure like temp's, lighting ,substrate ? What are you feeding them?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you have a tort that is potentially not eating, there is a problem, but not necessarily something that will send you to the vet. If you can supply the answers to a whole string of questions, we may be able to help

Are there any physical symptoms of inactivity, a runny nose, changes to the eyes, softness of the shell, etc? Photos will help us

Can you describe your enclosure please (pictures will help). Is it indoors or outdoors?

If indoors, what are the temps under the basking lamp, warm end, cool end and overnight minimum? Is there a UVB source?

If outdoors, what is the minimum temp overnight and the max by day? Does the enclosure get direct sun? Does it have plenty of shady, cool places if it's hot?

What are you feeding and how much? Do you use any supplements (vitamins, calcium, etc)?

If your tort is not eating, it is vital that it is hydrated. You must not rely on it to soak itself. A good 30 minute soak once a day could make all the difference. My soaking tips are here

Carl.P

5 Year Member
Hi there
My temp is 30 degrees C, I have two uv lights and I'm feeding them a green leaf diet. I have only had them three days and I'm new to this. I just want to get things right first time. I will be adding hay to there diet tomorrow with a calcium supplement. I bathe them at nights as to aid with hydration, which they enjoy ! Thanks
Carl

Attachments

• image-694284946.png
    image-694284946.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1459996376.png
    image-1459996376.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 31

Carl.P

5 Year Member
Hi again,
The enclosure is indoors. There are no runny noses and their shells are hard. I have only just got Lightning and McQueen and I've read that sometimes travel / rehiring can make them like this ?? Like u say I'm new to this !!
Thanks Carl

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Carl.P said:
<snip> I have only had them three days <snip>
The magic piece of information!

Tortoises are RUBBISH at handling change! It's not unusual for them to carry on like this for a couple of weeks or more after moving to new accommodation.

Get into a routine so that they know what to expect and when.

Use a timer to ensure your lights and timer come on at the same time every day. Next, before they warm up properly, soak them for a good 20 minutes (my soaking tips here). When they've finished their soak put them back in their enclosure and leave them in peace.

Without you watching they will start to get brave and do more and then start to eat. The soak will get them used to you and used to being handled and they'll realise it's the run-up to food which they also like.

They'll be active soon enough :)

Have you read Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread? It's got lots of useful stuff in it :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Carl. Your set up looks decent but there are a couple things I would change. Those pellets are not great for a substrate and in a month or so they will break down and everything in that room will be covered with their dust. I much prefer orchid bark, coco coir or cypress mulch.

I think that water bowl might not be good either. Terra cotta plant saucers work much better.

Appetite is directly related to temperatures in reptiles. Your new tortoises will need some adjustment time, but if the temps are not right, that time will be longer and they could end up getting sick. There are four temps to be concerned with. Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night. You said your temp is 30, but where is it 30. Their hide is quite far from the heat source and I wonder what the room temp is where they are.

Also, in your first pic I see they are on the floor. Not a geat place for them. Its too cool down there in most houses for them and right now they don't need the extra handling. they need time to be left alone and settle in. I would only do their daily soaks for a couple of weeks and then cut back to twice a week or so for leopards that size.

Do they have an outdoor enclosure for warm sunny days? This will be of great benefit to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.